Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Things to chew

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by DianeP, Nov 20, 2020.

1. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Our holistic vet recommended beef trachea rings for chewing. Mindy loves it!

Hanne, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    She's so good with it. Fil and Benny would have it ripped in half in about 30 secs LOL

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    She was pretty funny...she kept picking it up like that with it hooked around her lower jaw. She worked about 15 minutes like that before she broke all the way through. Then probably worked on it for another 5 minutes before it was gone.

4. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    It looks like she is really enjoying that :yes:

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Yummmmmm
    Just a word of warning, trachea is a nice treat but I wouldn't give too often. The thyroid is in the neck and they don't remove it when they butcher. The dogs ingest the thyroid and the hormone can damage theirs over time. I'm not saying don't feed, just not every day....
    There was actually an episode of Forensic Files similar to this but it was a meat plant that was inadvertently grinding the thyroid gland with the ground beef and they were trying to figure out why so many people in town were having thyroid problems...

RikyR, DianeP, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, what I learn on Sheltie Nation! Thanks for sharing that information, Lisa!
    Mindy has a stunning beautiful coat! Looks like she just got a bath!

Darren and DianeP like this.
  7. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Boy! The things you need to watch out for!! She won’t be getting it too often, anyway. She’s got a sensitive stomach and I’m pretty cautious about overloading her system.

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Mine would attempt to swallow whole - amazed that she gets such enjoyment from it. She's beautiful by the way... Need more pics, more often!

Darren likes this.
  9. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    You know, while Mindy has her issues, she does have some wonderful things going for her! A lovely coat, good chewing habits, quick trick learner, walks beautifully at heel when distractions aren’t present, plays really well with others and more!:happy:

Piper's mom, ghggp and GlennR like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sounds like perfection to me!
    ❤️❤️❤️

Piper's mom likes this.