Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Think my new sheltie is docked

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by maggiesmom, May 20, 2011.

1. maggiesmom

maggiesmom Forums Novice

May 20, 2011
    canada
    We just got a new lady who is a sweetie, we got her from petland she had been there since she was a puppy and was 5 months. Her tail is really short and stubby i assume they docked it any idea why they would do this??? thanks.

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Could be just a short tail. I have seen quite a few really short tails especially in sables. I have also seen a sheltie born without a tail, it was a blue..

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    More likely a birth injury.

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Deska has a shorter tail, he was just born that way. Now he has a full coat it isnt really noticeable, except when he stands next to Tully with her long tail.

5. PreciousSheltie

PreciousSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Perhaps you could share a photo with us when you had time so those with shelties with short tailed shelties could see if its 'short' or truly docked? It'd be quite sad to think they might have docked her tail...

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
  7. PreciousSheltie

PreciousSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for the photo!! Just from what I've seen with dogs and docked tails, I think it DOES look more like a 'short' tail! Definitely not the regular length in a sheltie.. Perhaps you could ask your vet if its due to a health defect/ if its going to affect your sheltie in a bad way. If not... I think its safe to say at least someone didn't dock the tail

8. maggiesmom

maggiesmom Forums Novice

May 20, 2011
    canada
    Thanks everyone i will try and get a pic! I just thought they all had long tails :smile2: she has her vet appt today so i will ask.

9. chase's dad

chase's dad Forums Regular

May 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Hey you stole my dog That's a dead ringer for Chase.... :lol:
    The tail is the only difference.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e151/OZZYBIRD/036.jpg

10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    If Chase grows up like Deska you are going to have one really fluffy sheltie! I always thought I wanted a sable with a blaze but the full sable head with the white ruff looks gorgeous.

Maggiesmum - when they grow their adult fur it adds 2inches or more to the length of their tail, that's why they look so long. Tully had a long tail from birth and its actually a bit of a pain because she can't carry it down as the fur is so long it drags on the ground and she steps on it if she walks backward.