Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Thought it was the end for Vinca.....

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by danisgoat, Feb 21, 2021.

1. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    So our Vinca was 15 in September.....she is getting up there in age. Over the last couple of weeks she has really slowed down, started throwing up one of her meals a couple times a week. And just seeming more "out of it." I was really preparing myself for thinking it was time. We had the vet out last week to do some bloodwork to see if maybe she developed cushings or diabetes because she was drinking a lot more too as well as losing weight. Well, it came out that she had a bad case of Pancreatitis. She had this once before, but it was way more of an acute sickness, not a slow decline like whats been going on now. So she is on an antibiotic, anti-nausea pill, and GI RX dog food and is doing great. Even with all the snow we've been getting she seems to be feeling good.

Here is a photo of her after making it up to my daughter's bedroom on the second level....so proud of herself for making it all the way upstairs!

Attached Files:

Elei, Hanne, RikyR and 9 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh my what a scare. She looks great for over 15 years old! Pancreatitis is a bugger, I dealt with it with Ally who had a chronic case in her last year. But meds and the right diet can manage it. I hope Vinca has much more quality time with you all.

Hanne, RikyR, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Awww what a sweet girl! So glad you were able to figure out what the problem was!
    She has no white on her face...doesn’t look 15!

Hanne, RikyR, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Thank you! What kind of food did you have your Ally on? Right now the vet has Vinca on Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Canned dog food.

5. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Right? She has hardly any white at all on her. My Chloe, in my profile picture is 12 and she looks so much older than Vinca because of all the white in her face.

6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Yep the Royal Canin. Our difficulty was she also had kidney disease at the same time, so balancing those two out was tough.

RikyR, Chris, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    What a pretty girl and Vinca sure doesn't look her age!! Thankfully you got a treatable dx for her...pancreatitis is nasty stuff but the meds and special food should get it under control and give her lots more quality time. Give her a gentle hug from me.
    Trini

Hanne, RikyR, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    She looks wonderful and I'm very glad she's feeling better. Shelties are so stoic that I frequently think they don't let us know when they're sick. I hope she does well on her new regimen and you have lots more time with her!

Hanne, Piper's mom, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Tully has chronic pancreatitis too. Apparently that's not uncommon in older small breeds, esp if they've had an acute bout(s) in the past. Tully was on RC GI LF too, but we discovered the European/Australasian version had chicken in it and Tully is allergic to chicken (she also has IBD).

I assume Vinca is on either Tylan (tylosin) or maybe metronidazole, plus either cerenia or ondansatron maybe?

Hanne, ghggp, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Hey Caro...

Vinca is on Cerenia (abx) and metronidazole for the nausea.

Is it hard to manage the chronic pancreatitis? Poor girl....they are so stoic as Ann said. I feel bad that she was that sick....and I didn’t really know. I was just chalking it up to her old age.

Sandy in CT, Ann and Sharon7 like this.