Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Thoughts from the mom of a crazy sheltie

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pam, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    So with Beau's new mishap I have been thinking about things that should be sold and would make my life so much easier (some of these I will be rigging up).
    1) A water dish/food dish holder high enough off the ground, stable and narrow enough for a dog to access easily with an e-collar on
    2) A kong holder same as above
    3) A raincoat (much like Beau's PJs) that covers the total leg down to the foot and made out of lightweight water-resistent or waterprood material so Beau doesn't get muddy when the rain is endless. He has his PJs and they work great but flannel just doesn't cut it in summer or early fall
    4) An outside poop bage dispenser for homes, something that can attach to a fence/wall/post/deck and with a small solar light attached to illuminate the bags for pick-up (a protected space for a small flashlight would be wonderful as well)
    5) A medi boot that is long enough and thin enough around for a sheltie front leg

I have lots more on my wish list but my "patient" is currently whinning a spoiled "I am bored and am not supposed to move much" whine. LOL

KarenCurtis, mimiretz and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sounds like some of these might be good to suggest to companies to develop and get a royalty for your ideas?

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Super ideas!

4. SRW

SRW Forums Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2018
    When Baron was sick I used some wood scraps to elevate his dishes about 6 inches so that he could more easily reach them.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I taped together two plastic dishes (upside down) on top of each other to make a narrow and tall enough water dish holder, it worked but hasn't been all that stable.
    I just sewed together a "poop bag" holder from plasticized material with a drawstring bottom and loop at top to hang outside--no more forgetting to take bags outside. Working on using Beau's PJs as a pattern for a raincoat.

Sharon7 likes this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    DH built a wooden food/water stand for our 1st Sheltie and it works great.

As for the water resistant PJ’s I would love to hear suggestions. I can never find anything to keep her belly dry in all this rain.

A Medi boot - when our 1st sheltie was in a cast (during the winter with lots of snow) I brought home empty IV bags from work (I am a nurse). I cut the end off and slipped it right over her case and secured it with tape. It worked perfect, it was think enough to not rip and kept it perfectly dry.

For an outside poop bag dispenser - I have a device that hangs on my garage wall that you shove plastic grocery bags in the top and pull them out the bottom, you could secure a solar powered light to it.

ghggp and Caro like this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    That's why I went with the cape collar rather than the Elizabethan collar when Tully had her hip done, was easy for her to drink while still stopping her reaching her hip (as she twisted around it would slip down lower to cover more). Kong do a soft collar now.

When Deska had his elbows done (obviously not as difficult as a foot though), I used to wrap his cast in cling wrap.

DSCN0205.JPG

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I really like the inflatable soft tube collars, but I've also used the collar that Caro has pictured. Both are great and much more comfortable for the dog than the hard plastic e-collars.

I use raised bowls for almost all of my dogs, and especially after surgeries. I have several but these from Chewy are my favorite. They have little rubber feet that keep them from moving on the floor.

9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    What an adorable picture!

Caro likes this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks, poor little girl was still doped up on fentanyl in that pic. I set up her bed in the front courtyard so she could have some outdoor time out of the sun.

ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.