Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Wendy C, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Someone on another Sheltie page had taken their pup for her shots and the Vet mentioned that he wondered when this is over how many dogs would be suffering from separation anxiety!! Even though we are retired we obviously went out and enjoyed life before this. Anyone have thoughts on this and a way to prevent it? Hope everyone is doing well and virtual belly rubs to all the fur kids!!

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin will be like...'finally I can get my naps in!'

Darren, Hanne, RikyR and 4 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Interesting ... Since I work at home anyway I never thought about the new reality figuring into the separation anxiety equation once folks go back to work...

Maybe, those on the site can comment once this is all over?

Darren, Piper's mom and Wendy C like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    We are trying hard to give Meadow some time by herself every day. She seems OK so far. But she will always have the other dogs around for company, and she seems fairly independent. She would not mind spending time alone in the yard at all. I watch her from the window and she completely entertains herself and is not looking for us.

I can see where it will be an unwelcome shift for the dogs to be left alone again when folks return to work.

5. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    Have been wondering about that myself. Our dogs are usually alone from 8 AM until 4 PM and now we are home 24/7. They seem to be enjoying having us home but I’m kind of worried about when we’re suddenly back to work. My brother-in-law is currently staying with us so hopefully he will spend some time with them when we go back to work to make it easier on them.

Darren, Calliesmom, Wendy C and 2 others like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've been thinking about that myself. I'm not worried about Piper, he's the most well adjusted dog ever (usually can't wait for me to leave to have a nap!) but Finnie is another story! Hates it when I leave now so let's see in a month or two!

Darren, Hanne, Calliesmom and 2 others like this.
  7. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    I read that in a sheltie FB page. I hadn’t thought of it because my husband and I are both considered essential so things haven’t changed much for my two. Except for the fact we drive to the park more often now for walks.

8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I've been retired since before Willow adopted us so she won't see much difference. The only one she frets about when leaving the house is me and she stops barking and settles within a couple of minutes.

Darren, Piper's mom, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  9. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I think Zulu feels the same way. He is a lot less "active" in the evenings, as can't nap as much while we are at home, and all the increased activity of folks walking/riding about.

Darren, Piper's mom, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  10. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Our lives, and therefore Oberon's, haven't really changed. I've been self-employed working at home for over 30 years, so he's used to being with me all day (he's pretty sure he's made of a combination of Velcro and rubber bands and therefore has to be within 3 feet of me at all times). Hubby is a supervisor at USPS and is therefore considered essential -- if anything he's working more now.

Darren, Piper's mom, Hanne and 4 others like this.