Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Time to trim ear hair

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by GlennR, Aug 20, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    These instructions are great, Glenn! They're clear, correct and easy to follow. Go for it!

Hanne likes this.
  3. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
  4. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I remember watching that exact vid before trying Fillion's ears. I did one thing terribly wrong--I went to beauty store and bought a pair of thinning shears. 26 teeth. Bad move--I should have gotten the 46 tooth ones from the get go cuz the difference in the results is like a VW bug compared to a Cadillac. One day I will spring for the really good curved scissors. 150 bucks for a pair of scissors is hard for me to justify though.

5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I never trim ear hair.....
    I do have good scissors- just don't see the point..............

KarenCurtis likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I trim Piper's and Finnie's ear hairs, I find with ears that are tipped they show the shaggyness more. I do trim Riley's but not as fine (his are prick) and they look funny if I clean them up too much. I do have a decent pair of thinning shears (got at Rens Pets) and a small pair of regular scissors. They are invaluable if you want them to look natural.

Ann likes this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Willow is always so beautiful

Thanks for this link it will come at the top of my grooming list :wink2:
    I really think the ears are so difficult :yes: - there are even two that must be alike :gaah

Sharon7 and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    I actually prefer the before pictures! I think the ears were over-trimmed and don't look natural. I know in the US you have very different ear set to the British/European look so maybe that's why I don't like it.

I used to trim Deska's on the back of the ear (from the middle to the tip) to stop them drooping too much and a little around the edge to bring them out so they could be seen in all his fur. Tully has almost prick ears so she gets a light trim to shorten the tip and trim the stray crazy bits to be in line with the tip. With prick ears you dont won't to cut all the fur in front as it will make it more prick. Trimming the fur on the back of the ear can make the ears prick more.

Honestly I think Willow's ears are pretty good. I'd give a light trim of the stray bits in between the ears, don't clip any at the front. And I'd trim the tip but create a new centre point towards the inside. Let me tell ya - many of us have had disasters (mostly from being over-zealous) with ear trimming so only do a little a time!

Sheltie guide to grooming has some great tips on ear trimming - I've attached a photo of the section about trimming a new centre

Attached Files:

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I have never trimmed ear hairs, and Faith's wild ones definitely go along with her character! Faith.jpg

Caro and Sandy in CT like this.