Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tips on leash training?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, May 26, 2020.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    It's been 6 days that we've had Meadow out walking with us. We tried with all 3 dogs; that was a 3 ring circus because once the other two were off leash all she wanted to do was try and get them to play. So then we resorted to walking her by herself. She is fine for a bit, prances right out, but then she will suddenly sit down and not want to budge. Not because she's scared of anything that we can tell. It takes quite a bit of encouragement to get her going again sometimes.

If we break into a slow jog she will immediately jump up and trot along. We do give some tugs on her leash (she has a harness on) but of course we don't drag her. What to do? We do take treats along and try and make it very happy and upbeat, but it is a bit frustrating. Ideas and suggestions welcome!

I may have to resort to peanut butter on a long wooden spoon!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Many people recommend a slip leash and not a harness. Positive motivation with food is how I taught Liam how to walk on a leash. Maybe this video might help?

Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Give her time to stop and look around. She's got a lot of the world to take in. It's only us humans that are linear walkers. When I did take Kismet out I'd just stand there with her and point out things and tell her the names - she had no idea what I was talking about but it was fun for me. When Meadow's had some time and you're ready tell her 'let's go' in a happy voice and entice with a treat or do a little jog.

I had Kismet on a harness at first - because I had the dog walker taking her and the harness was easier for her to be carried. Now she's mostly on a martingale collar because I want her to learn that. Kismet often walks with Tully, which works out well. At 13yrs Tully stops and smells the roses a lot (actually it's often the opposite of roses she smells :rolleyes2:), and has a limited walking distance and slower pace so it suits Kismet. I remember when Tully was a pup Deska used to get so annoyed having to go slow and stop for her. Can you walk her with one of the other dogs and alternate who she walks with?

Btw - I see your nickname for Meadow is monkey - that's Tully's nickname too!

KarenCurtis, Hanne, RikyR and 3 others like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I will try the slip leash. I was hesitant because I didn't want to pull on her neck (having had the chiropractor out for Faith) but maybe that will make a difference. I am not that fond of harnesses at any rate, especially when she eventually gets her adult coat. Thanks Gloria for the video, it was helpful.

If I try and walk her with either of the other two she just starts hanging onto them with her teeth, trying to play. I figure once she's accustomed to leash walking I can try again.

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That's funny though - do get a picture!

Sharon7, Sandy in CT and Darren like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well thanks to Gloria and Caro, the walk on the slip lead went so much better. She did not like it at all at first, but then the switch flipped and she decided to mind a bit better. We made much progress as the walk went on, about a mile. She also met the MOST gorgeous Malinois puppy, also 4 months old last night. What a stunning dog she will be - mostly black except brown on her back and top of her head. Such intelligent eyes. Owner wants to do agility with her. Hope we see her again.

KarenCurtis, ghggp, Ann and 4 others like this.
  7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Yeah!!!

Fan of Malinois - my trail trainer who trains drug/bomb dogs tends to train many of their breed. Such SMART dogs - do need a job and the right owner, but wow - incredible dogs! Meadow has more friends than I do!!! She's so funny - you are the perfect fit for her!

KarenCurtis, Hanne, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  8. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    We have a deputy sheriff that lives down the street. I notice a few months back he had a puppy. it was a Malinois. That pup is now about 6 months old, and the deputy has him well trained. I also noticed K9 Kato now on the front and sides of his vehicle. This pup is will soon be a deputy sheriff. But first, he must be a family dog.

Calliesmom, Darren, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  9. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Lots of treats + short walks worked for Kip when he was little. He was not a big fan of the leash. I'm sorry to say that walking all 3 dogs at once is still borderline chaos. 2 at a time is better.

10. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Sharon - First of all, I would train with Meadow alone,
    or she will be dependent on the others -
    it would be too bad - since she is now so independent. :yes:

I would take the time it takes, maybe show a little treat,
    praise when she goes along
    - but never pull in leash - tell her "now we go" .

Think about how you would teach - if she was just 9 weeks old :winkgrin:
    Luckily, we have our little puppies out for a few tiny walks from the time they come home.

I am still not pulling in Minnie's leash :lol:
    I am waiting for her to sniff finished, or say "come on"

Sharon7 likes this.