Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

To those feeding ACANA...

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Lacey'sMamma, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Lacey'sMamma

Lacey'sMamma Forums Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010
    Brandon MB, Canada
    So my girl will be 8 months right away, and i have only fed her ACANA pacifica (grain free fish formula) and her coat is amazing. It is fluffy like a pomeranian rather than coarse on the top of her back like most shelties are. And just shiny, thick and full for her age. I get many compliments and i know it's because i fed her only the best. :smile2: but I don't think she is crazy about the taste.. im not sure how to tell if she hates it because she will eat every other food other than her own if i let her but i know most dogs are like that haha. I want to switch to GRASSLANDS (red meat) formula but it dosnt have the high amount "nice coat" oils in it that pacifica has. Has anyone tried one or the other or both and can tell me what thier dogs perfered and did well on? Do your shelties on grasslands have a gorgoues coat?

http://www.championpetfoods.com/

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Hello and welcome to the Sheltie Forums.

I do not feed Acana, so I am not aware of the differences in formulas, although I do believe that it is a premium, high quality dog food.

Just an FYI, the Sheltie Standard reads that a Sheltie should have a double coat and the outer coat should be harsh and stand-offish so that it repels dirt. The undercoat should be soft. So...that harsh outer coat is actually a desired quality.

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Acana is made by the same producers as Orijen, if I remember correctly - I think its simply a lower protein version. My dogs were on Orijen for awhile, and I know that there are several people on the forum using Orijen currently.

There are other grain-free diets out there that you could try....Taste of the Wild, Now!, etc. Perhaps one of those would provide the fish oil that you are looking for, but with better taste.

4. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Well I can certainly recommend Taste of the Wild.Ours ate it,right until recently. The only other one that we seriously considered was Now.But we have no one that carries it here,and shipping from Canada was the problem.I could special order it from a private pet store,but it was to far away for me to travel.

The only reason why we did a change,is becuase our oldest sheltie (1yr) decided he just was going to be a picky eater.I think it was a hormonal thing with him.

They have 3 varieties,one is Pacific Stream,which is thier salmon formula.We used to rotate thru all the flavors with the boys here.The other 2 ate the food just fine.

We may in time go back to it,but just giving a break right now.Currently they are eating Merricks.Again grain free,premium food,and they love it.Again there are differant (many flavors).They especially love Grammy's Pot Pie,and the Turdicken dry kibbles.

There are many posts & threads on food,whether it be commercial,raw,BARF. Lots to read about here.

But most important,you decide what is best for your babe,what works...why fix it,is my motto.

you can read about Merrick products here:
    www.merrickpetcare.com

altho they currently are not shipping from thier own place anymore.They have teamed up with PetFoodDirect.We have recieved 2 shipments from PetFoodDirect,and have had no issues of late shipments.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. Lacey'sMamma

Aug 29, 2010
    Brandon MB, Canada

I have re searched Merrick, Wellness, Blue buffalo, evo, Tase of the Wild, and i actually had her on Now and didnt like the ingredients. Nothing was a match for origen and acana. But I don't think my girl would do well on origen as acana because they have crazy high protein levels. Champ pet foods (acana and origen) treat the animals they sloughter humanly (free run), they never freeze thier fish its always fresh, the food is completley grain free with potatoes as the only carbohydrate. There is sooo much more that is great about this food but you should visit the website i posted and watch the video on that page along with all the other info on there. Its the best, I can promise you, i did my re seach for a longgg time.
    If anyone has tried the Grasslands? Did your dog go nuts over the taste? I dont want to switch but if the taste is that much better than ill live haha

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

What is your concern with Now! ??? I've been feeding my dogs this food for almost a year. And they seem be doing well by it.

7. Sheri

Sheri Forums Enthusiast

May 10, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    My little one LOVES Grammy's Pot Pie. She's been eating Merrick her whole life. Lucy has severe allergies to most food and her skin doesn't flair up since she's been eating Orijen. Both girls also take Vibrant Pets daily.

8. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Just for your FYI....

We all have our opinions about food choices,and we make our choices based on having our dogs on what we feel works,what fits our particular situation,some foods are choosen for health reasons,and in long term,especially folks like us with multiple dogs,what fits our budget.

Believe me,one can open up a can of worms,and the food debate goes & goes.So long as you are happy with your decision,and the dog(s) are thriving,and doing well,then its all good.

I know Barb has had some serious health issues with her pups,and Now kibble was the answer for her pup to get well.The long short of this post...we do what is best,within our means to ensure the dogs we love so very much,are getting the best we can offer them.

Personally..I hate messing with food.It just killed us,that we were forced to make a change,but we had a situation with Trapp.And its not totally solved...but he is eating better.Ruling out a medical issues...it has been determined it is just him being fussy,and he no longer is a puppy.:rolleyes2:

9. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Lordie me..I opened up the Turducken bag tonite,and they would not get thier faces out of the way so I could measure it out.So far they like it,Earnhardt is a glutton,Jasper is in dog kibble heaven with this food.Trapp shows more interest in eating.

What I especially love about this food,is that with a bit of warm water,it actually makes a nice gravy,that really smells like turkey.Trapp seems to like it warmed,and with the gravy.

10. Lacey'sMamma

Aug 29, 2010
    Brandon MB, Canada
    Thats great that your dogs do well on it, but in my opionon the first 2 ingredients at least should be named meat products and i actually looked at the ingreidents after i bought the food (i was told it was good and at this time i didnt do a whole lot of re search), that the rest of the meat is to far down the list to be considered a sufficent ingredient in the food. I wanted my girl on a more protein diet, thats all. It is good quality ingreidents though, one of the very good choices for sure, and your lucky they do well on it. Some people have dogs that only do well on low quailty foods, thad be a bummer for me ahah