Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Toilet training woes

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Caro, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    This weekend Kismet decided she didn't want to toilet outside anymore. She'll stand in the rain, but not toilet in it. And she prefers the carpet to the 2 indoor potties.

And now when she goes in the backyard she is far too busy doing other things to just toilet. I have partitioned off the yard (mainly to stop Della fence running), but now I'm wondering if I have to put up a smaller area around the stairs for toileting. What do other people's potty areas look like?

And Kismet still isn't peeing away from home, which is odd because Tully and Della pee on walks. I'm just hoping when her hormones kick in she'll start marking.

So at 7mths I can honestly say Kismet is not toilet trained. Aaaaaargh. And a couple more months and she'll hit the adolescent regression age. Should I start putting panties on her?

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Ahhhhthe puppy house breaking lol...just when we think they've got it.
    I remember with Finnie when he was much younger (under 6 months) I would take him out on leash and later just to one area of the yard.
    He wasn't totally trained until he was neutered last August and even he had a few accidents in the house maybe 2 months ago!
    I'm certain Kismet is just going through a phase (perhaps she didn't like her outfit and is rebelling?) and you'll be able to get her back on track quickly.

ghggp and Caro like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Caro, every single puppy I've had has regressed around 6 months on house training. Kismet is just following the pattern, I think. I'd go back to Training 101 with treats and praise and I promise you, she will get over it. I don't know what it is about the age, but it seems to happen with all of them. Just to keep us on our toes, I think! :eek:

Hanne, Sharon7, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I hope so. She jumped on my head in bed 3 times this morning, took her out and she didn't pee once. At 7am she was too busy playing so I left her outside (with a cat) and went back to bed until after 9am. She didn't even care. And surprisingly she didn't dig a hole and didn't even have the onesie on!

Gosh I hope it doesn't get worse with hormones! She won't be desexed until she's finished conformation.

Last week she was having another little fear period, this week she's pupzilla. They change so fast. Might be time to put her on the NILF/Say please program too. She loves being outside far too much.

On a happier note, she's passed out on the floor now after a big long walk with the dog walker. I guess that isn't helping either - the dog walker can only come once a week now (she's gone back to work) and I need a mobility walker, so I can't always walk, and when I do I'm slow and don't go far.

Sharon7, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Ever Layla, the most absolutely perfect Sheltie, had a bout of the terrible teens!!!

Sharon7, ghggp, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I keep reminding myself at 5mths Tully was a nightmare, but she'd grown out of it by 9mths and is now the perfect lady.

I tried tying Kismet to myself, as has been suggested in other threads. Untied her so I could go to the toilet and the little bugger went and pooped in the study. Oh these things are sent to try us. And she had just been out and peed.

Sharon7, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Oh no...that little bugger:lol:! Guess she figured since you had to go....

Sharon7 likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yep, Liam regressed too. We did go back to potty training 101 and I added treats as a reward! That did the trick!
    Here is a picture of my potty area. I use pea gravel. It is about 14x7
    49B736C6-F4E3-437A-BCE5-277E656AFF58.jpeg

9. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    just posted in Darren's thread about the issues with bathroom- whenever you have to go, that's when there's issues with the puppy. whoever is in charge of the puppy never really watches them and then there's accidents...
    just curious why you didn't take Kismet with you into the bathroom- all of mine need to accompany me on a regular basis.....

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Even your potty area looks beautiful!
    I have one area with river rock where Piper likes to poop...I never trained this, I think it was because the breeder had an enclosed area with pea gravel where the pups would play. Finnie goes everywhere but he was born in January so no outdoor play.

Hanne likes this.