Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Tomorrow is our first trial of the season!

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Piper's mom, May 11, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree with you about the lighting Gloria. It's funny, I practice with Piper in the building and never really noticed how bad it really is! I knew about the glare from the windows but not on the matting. I have to really start cracking down on Piper though, his fronts are AWFUL in the ring! I have a video of Piper in Utility and I can post it if you want lol. On articles he went around me with the article in his mouth, then to my side where he dropped it, picked it up and kinda did an awful front.
    He was trying to get my leg at one point in heeling...just awful lol. Of course he's been out of it for a year. I have two weeks to fix him lol. I have a few ideas.
    Now I'm off to bed...18 hours up, of course I'm not tired anymore lol.

Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, would love to see it! You can post it privately if you want too!

Oh my, sounds like tough love for Piper!

Fingers crossed for Liam today!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    You and Liam will do great, just be patient with him...I honestly never thought I'd be where I am now with Finnie even 4 months ago! He's come so far, Liam will get there too it'll just take time.
    For Finnie to allow a stranger to approach him and be touched on his head without moving was a huge accomplishment for him...I know back in December I'd been thinking he'd never make it in the ring and just look at him now!

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Not actually tough love but just working him more...
    Today we had our class and again he started to mess up his go outs, definitely a first for him! After class we went to a mall parking lot (by Walmart and Petsmart) and I started doing what I did last year...just sending him to random walls, chain link fences etc. Later, at home I worked him on his heeling (he's gotten VERY sloppy), fronts and we did some bucket work (his absolute favourite!). In case your wondering what that is, he steps onto the bucket (it's a rubber feed bucket, not too big and non slip) and I move around it one step at a time telling him each time to 'get in'. He has to move his rear legs to move around it while maintaining heel position. Helps to remind him where he has to be and to keep nice and close while heeling.
    We did this for about 30 minutes (I also worked Finnie on bucket and did heeling for about 30 minutes), then when I went to take them in the house from the garage Piper stood outside the garage door looking at me...he wanted more, poor guy. Tomorrow we'll get back to it.

Calliesmom, Ann and ghggp like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    always more when it's cookie time...

I have been trying to get mine to do the bucket thing- only Destin would actually put his feet on it- everyone else just jumped over it.....
    I thought doing that would help with pivots since Cran had some issues with that. even though we never mastered the bucket, he's doing better with his pivoting.

6. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Actually I've cut wayyyy back on the treats. My trainer thinks Finnie is only working for the food and isn't actually learning. And Piper I cut back to just a few/training session, next week maybe just once in preparation for our next trial.

I found teaching Finnie the bucket was very easy. I gave him a treat if he put a paw on it, didn't have to be both...took him maybe 10 minutes to realize he'd get a treat for stepping on it. And then on leash on with Finnie standing on it I lured him with a treat by holding it on the left side of his nose (it takes a few seconds to get them to move properly) and as I took a step I moved the treat slightly away (but still close to his left side) and said get in causing him to reach to the left and he moved his rear to the right. (If this makes sense...I can get a video of it if you want).
    I still do the bucket with Piper as they forget and get very sloppy and with Finnie I'll do the bucket and then take it away and see how he is on his pivots. He's still not there yet but it's certainly helping him to move better and keep close to me.
    My bucket I got at a sort of country style hardware store that sells feed supplies, horse equipment and such. It's a softer style rubber (I actually have two of them).

This is what I use

https://www.peaveymart.com/FEED-PAN-2-Quart-P2648.aspx

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I have something similar - got it from Tractor Supply.
    I was using the clicker when they touched it with their foot but the older dogs all thought it was something that must be jumped and not touched. kind of like the yellow contacts in agility sometimes. I should dig it back out and see what we can do with it now. I've noticed that sometimes when I try to teach them something and then kind of let go of doing that for whatever reason- travel, weather, whatever that when we get back to it, it seems to make more sense to them the second time around.

I definitely have to scale back on the cookies at certain points- some of them just get a little too worked up for the cookie that there's no real attention left for actually working on the exercise......
    doesn't stop them from wanting to keep going and maybe there will be a cookie somewhere............