Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Too brave?

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Pam, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    OK, so I have been working on all the novice rally signs with Beau and watching videos. There are some trial in a few months around me, both WRCL and AKC. I am wondering if I am too brave to attempt to go in when I haven't had "formal" rally training? I just can't make any classes work for time and location, and really cannot afford privates. Advice?

2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Go for it!!!!! You have nothing to lose, unless you are worried about your dog going rogue and attacking another dog ;-) And remember, in Novice, your dog will be on leash. There really is a limit to what bad can happen, and I've found the Rally judges we've trialed under have gone over our scorecards with us after our runs so I learned a lot too!

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    you don't need to take a formal class. as long as you understand what to do at each sign, you should be fine. you can always ask the judge if you have a question....

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Go for it! I agree that you don't need formal classes so long as you know the signs and Beau already knows basic obedience. Has Beau ever been at a show? What I would do is look to see if there are any Rally matches nearby where you can do run throughs (I know CKC lists matches so AKC must also so check them out). Good luck!

5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Do it! Nothing beats experience! Read the regulations, study and practice the signs... you've got this! :)

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I've always been told that there's no learning experience as good as getting in the ring actually doing it. As long as you're prepared to make your first experiences "training" rather than winning I would go for it. I agree with Piper's mom that it would be great if you could take Beau to an event before you enter though, just to watch and get him used to the atmosphere. It's also good for you to see it before you do it. Good luck!

7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Your absolutely right Ann...the best experience is doing! Perfect example...I had Piper in an obedience match this past weekend and we were entered in utility. Piper was perfect but I screwed up...during the scent discrimination exercise I thought Piper had the wrong article because I wasn't watching the judge so didn't see the thumbs up sign from her and I sent him back! Poor Piper! I made the biggest mistake in that I was watching the dog and not the judge. I'll never make that mistake again and it only cost me $6 rather than 30 (if during a trial lol). It's also good for the dog just to get the ring experience before you enter him...good for both of you.

Ann likes this.
  8. mxt161

mxt161 Forums Novice

Go for it :):) Did my first agility trial last weekend after finishing pre-novice class. It was a novice standard and jumper runs. I did some mistakes, so what, it was fun and a wonderful experience for Théo and me. Peoples were friendly and helped me a lot.I just register for a new trial in April.

9. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Doesn't that BITE!! Your dog will forgive you, it's forgiving yourself that is hard... I have to be so careful that when i train I KNOW which article number it is! LOL... Justus gives me the strangest look when I mess this up!

10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Totally agree 2good...I was beating myself up after that but then I thought about it and I would never have sent him back during a trial (I would've just thought I was out of it lol). Yes...for some reason I thought it was going to be #4 (why? Because my trainer said you either take out the 6s or 4s and since I removed the 6s I stupidly thought it'd be the 4s...I realize now my mistake :ROFLMAO:) so when I saw a 3 I thought he was wrong. Of course I could've looked at it when I was scenting it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.