Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Too brave?

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Pam, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    OK, so I have been working on all the novice rally signs with Beau and watching videos. There are some trial in a few months around me, both WRCL and AKC. I am wondering if I am too brave to attempt to go in when I haven't had "formal" rally training? I just can't make any classes work for time and location, and really cannot afford privates. Advice?
  2. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Go for it!!!!! You have nothing to lose, unless you are worried about your dog going rogue and attacking another dog ;-) And remember, in Novice, your dog will be on leash. There really is a limit to what bad can happen, and I've found the Rally judges we've trialed under have gone over our scorecards with us after our runs so I learned a lot too!
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    you don't need to take a formal class. as long as you understand what to do at each sign, you should be fine. you can always ask the judge if you have a question....
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Go for it! I agree that you don't need formal classes so long as you know the signs and Beau already knows basic obedience. Has Beau ever been at a show? What I would do is look to see if there are any Rally matches nearby where you can do run throughs (I know CKC lists matches so AKC must also so check them out). Good luck!