Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Too Close for Comfort!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Ann, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    This afternoon I let four of the dogs out into our fenced dog yard that is right off the side of our house. They love to lay on the covered deck and relax or bark at the birds. Suddenly I heard frantic barking...not their usual bark. I looked out to see them running the fence line toward our back pasture and the woods. Opened the door and a big black bear was 10 feet from the fence, just standing there!

Apparently, Sheltie Power did its job and the dogs spooked him. (It certainly wasn't me....last year when he was at our back deck I went out with an air horn and he was unimpressed.) He turned and ran for the woods. Still, it was VERY scary! He could knock our fence down with one paw. Clearly, no more unsupervised dog time outside. This bear has been spotted in the neighborhood far too often lately. Here he is on the outside of our dog fence.

Bear.JPG

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Holy crap!!! That'd scare the dickens out of me! Glad the dogs scared it away and that it left! Definitely too close for comfort!

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Holy moly!!!!!! That would have scared me so badly.......Yup, I agree with no unsupervised dog time. But that is my general rule. I've heard too many stories like this!!!!!! I err on the side of caution and unless my dogs are inside, confined, they are being supervised!!!!!

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ann, that is beyond frightening!!! That bear has a tag in its ear. If it is known to be a problem bear can you report it to the authorities and have it darted and removed to a more suitable location???

That bear could go through that fence in a millisecond.

We are so sensitive to our dogs barking! You knew immediately something was awry. I am so glad no one was hurt!

Definitely no unsupervised outdoor time!

RikyR and Jams like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I reported it to the state last year when we had two different bears hanging around here and got nowhere. This bear is tagged which means it's already been picked up at least once and probably relocated. I am going to call them again on Monday and complain. We had a bear kill a mini horse a mile from my house this summer. These guys are not to be messed with.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh Ann a bear in the backyard i would have had a heart attack
    - the wildest thing we can experience is a fox

Yes, Sheltie has courage when protecting our home, you can easily hear when it's something serious :yes:
    - like a black chimney sweeper :biggrin2:

RikyR and Ann like this.
  7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Holy cow. That's, wow. I'd be petrified. Lucky you have multiple dogs. Do they often hurt dogs?

Ann likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    That is unbelievable!!!!
    Every time I watch Animal Planet and a show comes on about nuisance bears they are promptly captured and relocated! If they are 3x offenders they are euthanased. I am just astonished they will do nothing especially since you got such a great picture as evidence.

That poor little mini horse! That is just such a tragic loss.

Ann likes this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    The wildlife people tell us that they will run from loud noises like shouting, etc. I got an air horn last year but it just looked at me and then ambled away. The bear yesterday did run from the dogs' barking and I don't know about them attacking dogs, but I'm sure if one ran at it barking it would attack. In any event, I don't want to find out!

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Wow! That is so scary--and he's so big! Glad everyone is okay.

We killed a baby copperhead in our yard the other day--that was definitely enough "nature" for me!

Ann likes this.