Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Train to fetch?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by SheepOfBlue, Oct 1, 2019.

1. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    This going to sound weird but Angus just has no concept of fetch. I throw something and he loves to chase it but then it is "mine" If you ignore him and the game is over he is perfectly OK with that. Bribe him with cookies and it very slightly improves for a throw or two. I think if I could get him going it would be his thing as the running is all fun but then it turns into him claiming it.

Calliesmom and Hanne like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    All I can tell you is, starting with Asta, the game of chase the stick was a passion with my dogs, but bringing it back? Nah. Although Faith will very occasionally bring it back to us. We throw it during our walk along the creek. Actually have to hang onto Eli while Faith gets a jump on him because he will just go after HER (and grab her if he can) instead of the stick. He does not have the concept of chasing the stick - for him it's chase Aunt Faith!!!

Strangely though Eli will fetch in the house if I throw a toy for him. I don't get the difference. :rolleyes2: Good luck with Angus.

Calliesmom likes this.
  3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Cran and Destin are the only ones who will bring the toy back to me and they came that way...
    Dixie who got the toy more when there was less competition would take it off to destroy it by chewing on it. Jocu likes to chase Cran when there's enough room for that. when he gets the toy, he tries to get the others to chase/play with him and the toy.

4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I think it is just something in the dog that is either turned on or not. Our first doxie was fetch crazy. He would fetch anything; in fact, hubby used to practice his golf swing in the yard and Buddy would bring the golf ball back. He would herd larger balls throughout the yard on his own till his nose was raw. Kooper could not care less about balls or fetch in fact, I don't think he ever even played until Brodie came along. Hubby wanted another dog who would play ball and oh my - he got it!

Brodie has been fetching sticks since he was a puppy. He will play fetch in the house at night for hours. Hubby would throw the ball for him in the yard every day when he came home - now it is the Frisbee. He not only runs after it and fetches it - he catches mid-air. We taught 'bring' and if he doesn't, we don't throw again. He quickly learned that in order for the game to continue, he has to bring it back. And not only does he need to bring it back. he needs to bring it back where WE want him to bring it, not where he decides to drop it. Early on, that was a game - well can I bring it back over here and they will come get it over here? Nope! He doesn't accept when we are done playing, he will bark,bark, bark for more. But when he is done, he picks up whatever toy and heads to the back deck - game over.

If you want to teach, find something special - baked hot dogs, plain popcorn, cheese - something that is ONLY for training time. Be consistent - it's us humans that are not consistent in training, same thing, every day, same treat. Once he is solid on his newly taught trick, slowly replace treats with praise - lots and lots of praise. Even when done, be sure to bring back those treats every so often. Have fun!

Calliesmom and Ann like this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Hmmm need to give it one more try as he could be a fetching machine instead of 'thank you I will be bringing this to my fortress'. Thing is Spitfire will fetch and he thinks he is so cool when he does (Sca was a fetching machine so Spitfire had little chance) but he really could care less about pleasing me. Angus is all about me being happy but....

Calliesmom likes this.
  6. DianeP

DianeP Forums Regular

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Our last Sheltie, Elliot couldn’t care less about the ball. I used to play imaginary fetch with him. I’d pretend to throw something and he’d run out to “get it” and run back and wait for me to fake throw again. It was all about the running. At the dog park, he loved to run out with other dogs who were playing fetch but could not care less about the ball.

Our new pup Mindy, caught on to fetch right away when she came home at 4 months. But, outside, she’s distracted by other exciting things. Inside she could go forever.

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It's funny but I can do a formal retrieve with Piper (whether it be glove or bell) and he will bring it back to me every time. Now I throw a toy or a bell and I say fetch it and all the training is out the window:ROFLMAO:!

Calliesmom, DianeP and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. HikerDog

HikerDog Forums Regular

Jan 28, 2019
    Toby likes to fetch - he's 4 months now. Though his breeder sent us pictures when he was only 7 weeks of him chasing a ball around. Maybe it's just a preference?

When we had just got him, I would clap my hands and be extra excited after he chased after and grabbed the toy I threw. I think that made him run back to me with it in his mouth. When I tried to offer food to get him to come over, he would leave the toy behind to come get the snack lol!

PatC, Calliesmom and SheepOfBlue like this.
  9. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Cooper and Tara will fetch until they fall over. Rocket likes to run with them, but not fetch. Cassie will fetch if we get the others inside, but she can't beat them to the ball. And of course, Clarabelle hates the ball, thinks it is stupid, and if you wanted that slobbery thing, you shouldn't have thrown it away. Fetch it yourself, peasant.

10. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Does he like to tug? Missy fetched the moment I brought her home but I think what really encouraged her to come back (at first) was getting to tug on the toy. Our fetch games with toys (not ball or frisbee) consist of toss-retrieve-tug-repeat.

Calliesmom likes this.