Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training challenge?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by corbinam, Aug 8, 2018.

1. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Is anyone interested in a training challenge? I’m happy to “host”! I need some motivation to teach more tricks (I love the idea in theory haha!).

I’m thinking it could be something like we pick a couple tricks and give ourselves 2 weeks. We can check in here with questions, tips and progress. Then share the finished product!

Anyone up for it?

Pam, JacqueZ and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    a few people here did something similar a while back......
    I read the posts but failed to actually participate.
    I think the problem is the continuing motivation. learning one trick that someone else posts instructions on how to teach it is one thing but keeping it up is another story.......
    and coming up with multiple tricks to keep it going can also be a challenge.

if you are willing to consider some rally moves/signs as tricks, I'd be willing to go that direction.
    Cran needs work on some of the master and excellent signs. Jocu and Destin need to learn the Advanced/Intermediate signs as I want to enter them in Intermediate this fall.

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    While I think it's a neat idea I agree with Calliesmom that I'd rather do a challenge that will motivate me and help me further Finnie's obedience training. Teaching tricks is fun....when Piper was young I'd taught him to roll over but then stopped doing it when I realized as cute as it was it wouldn't be good if he did it during a trial.

4. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Sure! My girl seems quite bored lately because it is too hot for her longer daily walks. Some mental stimulation would be great.

5. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Yep, I'm at a blank on tricks to train these days, and need motivation to work with the girls separately so we can do some of the more interesting tricks.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! If we get a few more people participating we could certainly set a few different tricks out there, like do 1) Obedience/Rally type trick, 2) Beginner Trick 3) Advanced Trick.

I was planning on looking at the AKC Trick Dog title tricks to get some ideas. Probably need a few more participants since it looks like there are just a few of us.

7. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I'd be in.