Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training Success!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Elei, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Hi guys, this is Kip!
    I’ve been training my mom for about 10 months now, and for the most part she’s pretty trainable. She gives me lots of cookies and toys and lets me follow her everywhere. But the one thing she was really stubborn about was “No Sheltie on the bed”.

Mom said, “The bed is 4 feet off the ground. You’ll fall off and get hurt.” Silly reason. She said, “You’ll try to jump off and get hurt” Why would I jump off?? But Mom made me sleep in my own bed under her bed. It was ok, but I like to be with her all the time, so I had to come up with a plan to train her.

So about a week ago, instead of sleeping I started pacing around and whining to keep my mom awake. It worked. She was very grumpy and worried about me. One night she even slept on the floor with me which made her even grumpier and wasn’t quite what I wanted.

She finally got the message when I stood on my tip toes and tried to jump into Mom’s bed. She picked me up and put me on the bed. Guess what? I didn’t jump off or fall out of bed. I just snuggled up and slept all night long. Happy Sheltie, happy human. :)

The only problem is I have to share the bed with the cat too, so it’s a bit crowded..

JacqueZ, corbinam, Hanne and 11 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Elei, you are one smart pup! Well done. Yes, sheep can be trained too!

Piper's mom, Wendy C, Darren and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Great job training your sheep Kip!!!

ghggp, Piper's mom, Hanne and 3 others like this.
  4. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Clever Kip! In my experience, Shelties generally figure out a way to get what they want. Meadow did this last night too! I usually go to bed a bit earlier than my hubby and the big dogs take that opportunity for some bed/snuggle time. Last night Meadow kept hopping, trying to get up, so I (somewhat doubtfully) lifted her up and waited to see if she would start trying to play... but nope, she settled down and stretched out along my side and off to sleep we all went!

Of course when hubby comes to bed they all have to go to their own beds, poor things.

Kip looks very happy in that photo, maybe a bit smug! :whistle:

6. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Well done Kip, you've done a great job! Monty sleeps on my bed too :rolleyes2:
    Love the photo Elei, I agree with Sharon, Kip is looking just a little smug :lol:

7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Good job Kip. Willow only gets on the bed for a quick hello and morning cuddles. She likes sleeping in her crate with her comfy bed in there. During the day she often goes to the crate in the living room for serious nap time.

ghggp, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  8. DianeP

DianeP Forums Enthusiast

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Mindy sleeps on our bed every night. She can’t get up in her own. Too high, so we lift her, of course. Our old Sheltie used to start the evening on the bed but got down every night after about 20 minutes. He liked his space.:)

9. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ghggp, Piper's mom and Hanne like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Once in a while both my dogs sleep on the bed. It's a double bed, so during these times I get 1/4 of a double bed to sleep in. Yes, that is correct.

Piper's mom, Hanne and Elei like this.