Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Training to stand on the table

Discussion in 'Handling Techniques' started by Kamikazi, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Kamikazi

Kamikazi Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2009
    Northern VA
    To make a long story short, our breeder pointed that Tyr doesn't stand well for grooming/exam. Of course he can't show if we don't correct this.

She mentioned that we should feed him on the table...was wondering if you guys have any suggestions? I'm starting to feel like an idiot, but I don't want to give up on the idea of showing him...even if it ends up being just for experience.

2. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    How old is he?? Will he not stand at all on the table? or just not stand still?

3. Narmowen

Narmowen Forums Enthusiast

May 20, 2008
    I teach them to bait first. Bait them in front of you, then teach them "wait", which is don't move at all. When they wait on the ground, you'll be able to teach them to wait on the table.

To teach them wait on the ground, bait them in front of you, get on your knees, and place their feet square. At the beginning, I say "wait" after I move every foot. After a bit of training and treats, the puppy will get the idea that wait means don't move when you say that.

4. missjenneygirl

missjenneygirl Forums Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    We start our puppies with a clicker, and them on the ground, at about 8 weeks. When they set their front feet (easier for them at the beginning) and pull themselves up for the bait we click. This progresses to they have to also set their back feet before the click, so eventually they are 4 square. This translates to the table. Put them on the noose, set the four legs, you may need to hold their collar to do this. Click and treat. I also have "Happy Legs". you can check it out on www.happylegs.com. I really am having fun with them, and am able to completely groom Tansy, just 6 months, while she is on them. Tofu Pup has always trained our puppies, so I am going out on a limb even writing this post, LOL We never "hard stack" our dogs from day one. Shelties can learn where to put their own feet.

5. missjenneygirl

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    One other thing, we don't get down with the puppies, because it "compresses" them. They tend not to use themselves. Where if you are standing, they will use their neck and pull out of themselves. Then where you hold the bait (high or low) you set their head, muzzle level with the ground. I find if you use a word like "wait", you end up saying wait, wait, wait, wait. Pretty soon it sounds like nothing to them. We praise them when they succeed, for encouragement and that is the only thing we say.

6. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Is he shying away, or just wiggling?

If he's wiggly, he needs to understand that table-time (when being shown) means stay put. When I place a dog on the table, I hold the head. Make a shaka sign with your left hand: the three middle fingers hook up under the collar, the thumb is just below the ear, and the little finger is right under the edge of the jawbone. I find that this gives the most control. With the dog in this hold, I give them a little rock or nudge, side to side. This says "hey, stay put" and settles the dog into his shoulders (it's hard to describe, you sort of have to feel it). It's very neutral: you're not saying "stay put or else", just "think about your legs and hold still".

Shying dogs need more intensive care. Is he afraid of being on the table, or is he afraid of the judge coming at him? You can start, in either case, by just putting him on your grooming table at home and plugging treats into him. Make the table the happiest place on Earth - he gets pets, praise, and cookies just for being up there. Have him on a leash, and let him explore the boundaries of the table: he can look down, but you won't let him fall.

Next, enlist a friend (someone Tyr doesn't know well) to walk up to the table and give him a treat or two. Oh boy - now being on the table + someone walking up = big fun! It will take a few tries to get here, but be persistent and keep sessions short and fun. If he's too nervous to take a cookie from the stranger (and he very well may be), then go lower and praise him just for letting someone approach.

There are lots of schools of thought on training Shelties for the ring. As missjenneygirl pointed out, I'm extremely anti-touching when it comes to Shelties on the ground (I set their legs myself when they're on the table), but that's what I like best. Your mileage may vary!

7. Narmowen

May 20, 2008
    Different strokes for different folks. ;)

While training, I use wait much more often than I do after the puppy gets it. After all, Shelties are very smart, and it doesn't take much to teach them. Molly taught herself sit, and Jock, her sire, only had to be told to "wait" once, and he would stack himself perfectly.

I was taught (by a prof. handler) to free stack my dog (loose leash, in front of the dog), and to stack by kneeling by the dog. Sometimes, by kneeling by the dog, that's how you stand out in the ring.

8. Kamikazi

Kamikazi Forums Regular

Oct 30, 2009
    Northern VA
    Dumb owners, smart puppy

Lots of great suggestions!

Sorry to be so long responding….my commute sucks (2.5 hrs each way). So it’s “lucky” that my husband is unemployed and can spend time with our resident berserker. Here’s a little more info:

The primary issues are getting Mr. Wiggles to:
    1) stand still on the table,
    2) not avoid hands directed at his mouth, and
    3) not engage in fearless kamikaze-esque aerobatic stunts (e.g. diving off the table).

He has a great temperament, it’s just yours truly wasn’t sure what to teach him show-wise, so we’re behind the curve (he's 5mos). In his defense, he was in a novel environment with strange sounds/sights/smells.

The good news is that he was better last night about having his mouth handled, so perhaps we’re not starting too late. I’ve been lucky enough to keep him from sailing off the table, but, given the opportunity, he will jump off of and over everything. I want to try the breeder’s suggestion of feeding him on the table, but I’d almost want to duct tape him to the table first (ok, I’m totally kidding about the duct tape). In the meantime, I am using his favorite treat of freeze-dried liver.

We’re also supposed to start working on gaiting on a loose lead. That should be interesting.

Too bad this is a lousy time of year to find a novice handling class.

9. missjenneygirl

Aug 20, 2009
    connecticut
    I just have to ask, was it a sheltie professional handler or an all-breed? All-breed handlers want to hard stack everything. You can not get a beautiful arch of neck and outline getting down with a dog.
    I agree you can use the word wait, but more times then not, in the ring or ringside you hear newbies saying, wait.....wait.....wait.....wait....wait....wait.
    The only time you get down with a herding dog is if it is an unruly puppy that needs reassurance. It would look absurd to see a sheltie handler in the group get down with their dog. This truly is, just my opinion after showing shelties for over 20 years. I'm still waiting for the day Tom Coen gets down with a dog.
    If you want YOUR DOG to stand out in the ring, conditioning and grooming is the way to do it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  10. Narmowen

May 20, 2008
    Sheltie handler/breeder. Owner handler. Yes, you can. I've gotten a beautiful outline from the ground. The beautifully arched neck, the expression, etc. And, I've seen other Sheltie handlers get down with their dogs. Seems to be more of a CKC (Canadian) thing, but I have seen it done.

I've been showing them for over 15 years. My kennel's been around for over 20. ;)

Funny thing about grooming and conditioning. Please, explain to me why a dog pulled from a backyard, with no grooming, that was drug around the ring, beat a beautiful, well-moving, AKC champ? Because it was handled by a prof. handler. In my state, it's NOT how your dog looks. It's WHO handles the dog. In my state, the ONLY people I see winning (in the Sheltie ring) are prof. handlers. There are little to NO owner handlers winning.

Sorry, but you really don't know everything. ;)