Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

TRASH CANS

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ferg, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    I think I mentioned this in a vintage post.

CHIP is uncannily human when it comes to knowing what you say, to him or other individuals such as LADDIE or Mama. Manipulation is what he is really strong with.

By the time Chip was a year old we decided the trash cans in our home and shop were either going to need to be very high off the floor or covered. Covered alone, did not work. We bought trash cans with foot levers for bathrooms and bedrooms. Kitchen can is tall and has a cover.

You have to watch carefully to see Chip open one of them to retrieve whatever he wishes. He is well aware that we don't want him to get into them. He puts his paw on the bathroom door, especially when we don't latch it, walks over to the trash can, steps on the "lid lift", looks in to see what he might like I guess. If we don't happen to know what he is up to, there are many unwanted items on the floor. Some torn to shreds, I think Laddie has had a hand into that. If you check on him in a few minutes he will likely be laying on the bath pad at the shower as though nothing has happened.

You "Gotta Love It"!!!!!

ferg

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    It's fir that very reason I keep my kitchen garbage under the sink...Riley is a real garbage dog and would be in it the minute my back was turned. Piper would too but he'd be polite and let Riley go first:ROFLMAO:. Fortunately the bathroom garbage holds no interest for them. My last dog used to lift the lid and help herself, when we put something on top of it then she knocked it over. That was it for that can lol.

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I not only keep the trash can (with a lid) under the sink, I also have the kitchen gated off. So my dogs have to go through 3 barriers to get to the trash. Skylar will undoubtedly do it someday though ;-)

4. mimiretz

mimiretz Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    Our cat likes to open cabinets. We had to put a baby-safe latch on the cabinet under the sink where the trashcan is because Casanova (the cat) would open the cabinet and Oberon would get into the trash. I swear they were in cahoots!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh my, what adventures your pups and cat are up to when your not looking!
    I have to say I have never had a Sheltie that was a garbage surfer!
    They are just too smart go their own good!!!
    Beau has done a bit of redecorating by pulling off all the fringe on my chair!

Cara Sandler likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Thank heavens that has never been an issue for us! Maybe the fact that Louis the Sheltie Cat likes to perch on the trash binn has something to do with it. :lol:

7. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    We had step on trash cans in the bathroom too. One morning I was opening the can, turned around, and he was staring right at me. I knew it was only a matter of time, and sure enough he figured it out. The can sits in a corner, so all I did is turn it around. Lost the step on feature, but so far he has been able to figure out what happened to the foot pedal. But I do check over my shoulder before I open the can!!

8. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Forums Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2011
    Oh yeah, Rocket and the Belles know exactly what that foot step opener is for. Cooper probably knows, but he doesn't get into stuff like the others.

We have one of the step opener cans in the living room too. DH keeps his steel toe boots on it. Why? Because Rocket has figured out that he doesn't really have to step on it. He just bumps it open with his nose.

RikyR likes this.
  9. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    Yikes! My girl is smart and will certainly help herself to the trashcan if it wasn't covered. She loves to shred tissues. Thankfully, she has not figured out how to press the lid pedal lol. Is you bathroom can plastic or stainless steel? We have a small, but heavy stainless steel can in the bathroom, so it would take a lot of weight to open the lid or press the pedal if, my dog figured it out.

10. ferg

ferg Premium Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Ohio
    Our cans are all the same. Heavy metal, stainless on interior and the foot pedal.
    I think Chip has made a game of it by now. He won't leave any of them alone.
    ferg