Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Traveling with a Sheltie on a plane

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Jaxx Mom, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Jaxx Mom

Jaxx Mom Forums Novice

Jan 5, 2020
    I am picking up my pup in February. I love to travel and will be taking him with me when I go. I do travel by plane as well and would like any advice/tips you may have for traveling with your four legged mate please.

Thank you :)

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I travel with my girl on the plane somewhat regularly. My biggest tip is to get your pup very used to the carrier you will use. I spent weeks just rewarding my girl for getting into her bag. Then I fed her in the bag, carried her around, randomly treated her etc.

Now when I put her bag on the floor she dives into it. It’s really nice knowing how comfortable she is in there.

Attached Files:

Ann, TheDailyPainter, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla travels as my service dog (legit). She lies by my feet on a small blanket. Most times, people aren't even aware she's there.

Ann, Hanne and ghggp like this.
  4. ttexan

ttexan Premium Member

Dec 3, 2013
    Sandia Park, NM
    In the passenger area is OK, but I would suggest only absolutely necessary travel in the luggage area. I think it is just too loud, too many unknown people, etc for any dog, much less a Sheltie to not be traumatized.
    I'm not in any way suggesting that your service dog status isn't legit, but I also think it is much to easy to qualify for service animal now and is abused.

ghggp likes this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    When I got Logan from the breeder he was full-grown so he had to fly in the Luggage area. He had done it many times before as he was used as a show dog.
    Personally, I would never do that again. I normally always drive to where I am adopting. If the dog was small enough to be in the cabin, that would be my first choice.

Make sure you get your vet papers in order and make sure the airline allows pets in the cabin as they normally limit the number allowed. I believe, one in first class and one in coach is allowed. Anyway... I would check.

Good luck to you and your pup! Let us know how it goes.

Ann and Hanne like this.