Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Treadmill

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Jonathan Young, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Forums Novice

May 3, 2018
    Good Afternoon,

I have an 8 month old male who is large for his age, pushing 26 pounds but still skinny, approximately 17 inches at the withers and again approximately a 20 inch length. So, I live way up in NNY only a few miles from Lake Ontario so getting out in the winter is not always going to happen. I would like to get a dog t/mill for those times when we just can't make it outside; he is really active, and he needs to release energy constantly. I have been looking at the Dog Pacer brand, but am concerned about the proper size based on their spec's. i.e., one is listed for dogs at his weight, up to 55lbs, but seems small by size whereas the other is much larger, takes up more room, and is much more expensive. If anyone has had any experience with this, or any other brand for that matter, and has advice, on what is good t/mill for this breed and his size, (probably will hit 30lbs, and 18 high before he leveling off), I would really appreciate the input. Thanks

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I can certainly understand why you want a treadmill for the winter months. Not my favorite time to walk either. I never have used my personal treadmill with my Shelties but I think I would try that before dropping $400+ on a doggie treadmill.

My Sheltie pup is on the larger side too at 5 months and 17-1/2 inches and he will be a big boy also. Luckily I have another dog that plays with him.

I have seen so many programs with dogs on people treadmills that you might try that first? Maybe pickup a used one? Less expensive I believe.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  3. Jonathan Young

May 3, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. I have given that a lot of thought. I am hoping someone who has done this may offer a reply, positive or negative.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I condition my dogs on a treadmill in the winter too when we can't get outside. I bought a walking treadmill from Walmart years ago for around $200 (goes up to 4 mph) and all my dogs use it. I found you don't need to spend top dollar for a dog treadmill. I've trained all my Shelties to this on on a leash and harness. (NOT a collar!) I sit next to them and hold the leash. They learn very quickly to walk or trot depending on the speed you set. Another advantage is that I can use it too....or should!

Jonathan Young likes this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Hollie used to walk on my treadmill. I didn’t teach her to do it, she just hopped on and started walking. So I a, sorry but I do not have any suggestions. When she got older she liked to drop her toys on the front and run to the back to catch them when then came down the belt.

Shelby on the o5er hand never liked the treadmill. I can’t blame her b/c I didn’t really like it either.

Sharon7 and corbinam like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh, I really like that :lol::lol:

Sharon7 likes this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia

Best Sheltie treadmill video ever!:pop Gotta watch it all the way through.

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck

9. Jonathan Young

May 3, 2018
    Thanks for the post. I am going to start him on the full size and if he takes to it then look into a dog mill. Thanks again!

Ann likes this.
  10. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    So cute! She was like...I'm done, time to get my toy. So smart.

Chris and ghggp like this.