Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Trimming the Shelties hair

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Phil Hughes, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Forums Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    Ok after watching some vidoesand stuff, I have the brushing down pat. But now, Koz's hair is getting quite long and needs to be trimmed back some. Not a lot but some. I know that I could take him into the groomer and have him do all this but I really would like to do it myself. Esp since he is such a trooper and stands still for all of it. So what do you use and how for trimmng your Sheltins coat?

SheepOfBlue likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Forums Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Only thing I do is take the clippers and buzz the "poop chute" under their tails, the bottoms of their feet where the hair gets thick between the pads, and during foxtail (stickers) season, the backs of their legs up a few inches so the hair doesn't drag thru the weeds when we walk along the creek. The show folks might do more trimming along the pantaloons, ears etc. My friend takes her Sheltie to the groomer who really cuts back the pantaloons and I don't like it, I think it looks funny. I mean, why get a dog with long hair and then cut it off??!

Cara Sandler, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I do the exact same clipping Sharon!

My friend takes her Sheltie to the groomer who really cuts back the pantaloons and I don't like it, I think it looks funny.
    I mean, why get a dog with long hair and then cut it off??!

I totally AGREE with this! Never understood why anyone would do it!

I have my boys professionally groomed a couple times a year and luckily my groomer understands the sheltie coat and NEVER over trims!
    Thank goodness... seen some horrible posts on this site where owners got their dogs back shaved!

4. Phil Hughes

Phil Hughes Forums Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    Ok well, we had a go at it today and he looks grand, Used the trimmer with the largest #8 blade guard which really did not take off all that much hair and some scissors to trim the fur behind the legs and around the feet. He is not going to win any shows but we think he looks great and he seems more comfortable. Not quite the shaggy dog anymore:)

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I trim the same as well but I also trim the ears as well. They get quite shaggy looking so I trim the tops as well as some of the fur that grows in front of the ears as well. I use a thinning scissor to trim the fur along the tops and then clean it up with a regular scissor. I think there are YouTube videos on this.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Absolute - that's how it should be :yes:

7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have no faith in doing it myself but this is what the groomer does every 6 weeks. She will also trim around ears because it needs it.

The sanitary groom as the groomer calls it is mandatory to help them with them potty.