Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Twitch

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Piper's mom, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Has anyone ever experienced a puppy having twitches? Every now and then Blueberry has this twitch/shake (really more of a twitch I’d say...not a seizure by any means). I started noticing it last week sometime, can’t pinpoint the exact day just that it was after her 12 week vaccination and after doing her ears.
    I was wondering if it could be an allergic reaction to either the glue or the starter fluid the tape is sprayed with. Of course it could be a reaction to her vaccination but that was a week ago.
    I removed her ear tape and glue (was also wondering if the tape could be pulling or pressing on a nerve?) and cleaned them up. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow, unfortunately she’s in surgery all day but hopefully by end of the day she’ll call me back and if needed I can get her in on Thursday when our vet takes appointments. She’s a normal puppy beyond this, happy, crazy playing, eating lots, good poops, drinking lots etc etc...just this strange twitch that only happens when she’s still. At first I thought it was because she was tired but it’s happening more frequently now. Fingers crossed that it’s something simple like an allergy...she’s certainly happier now that the tape is out!

Sharon7 likes this.
  2. Elei

Elei Premium Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Does she do it while she’s sleeping, or only awake? The only similar thing I’ve seen with Kip is when he is asleep, he occasionally twitches briefly. Like maybe he’s dreaming.

Fingers crossed your vet can tell you what’s going on, and it’s nothing to worry about!

Sandy in CT likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, that seems really unusual...
    Can you get a video of it?
    Sure hope you can get a hold of your vet! Keep us posted

Sandy in CT likes this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Video is a great idea! Hope you get some answers!

5. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    No that is something I've never seen before! Did you research vax reactions and see if others saw this?

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'd call your breeder and ask about it too. She would be a good source of information.

Actually, puppies do tend to twitch both when they sleep and sometimes even when they're awake but relaxing. I was told it's a neurological reaction to their growth and development and once grown, it stops. Ruffles still twitches sometimes but rarely and much less than she did as a puppy.

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Awwww ok...this makes sense Ann. She’s been doing it when she’s settled, like sitting watching me. I messaged the breeder last night and she agreed about removing the ear tape. I’ll call the vet at 8:30 and leave her a message (and ask receptionist to leave her a note).
    I held her this morning to see if she’d do it but no luck. Now she’s chewing on a water bottle...no twitching. I swear she’s a normal puppy

Ann and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I looked it up and saw seizures but not twitching. I did see someone on another vet site mention twitching after using a tick spot on and that vet mentioned an allergic reaction that’s why I was thinking the ear tape/starter fluid the breeder uses. Took me an hour to get the tape out and clean them up. I did notice the tape felt wet and goopy where it was touching the bottom of the ear...never noticed this with my other two dogs, and this was only with tape in for a week..

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I’ll try...she hasn’t done it yet...Fingers crossed removing the tape solved it.

Sandy in CT likes this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Well I’ve yet to see a twitch this morning...there may have been a very slight one, she’d paused in play and MAYBE but I’m not sure as she started to move right after. She seems more energetic and playful and vocal with the dogs. I did call the vet and left a message so sometime today she should call me back, she’s pretty good about it.

Sandy in CT likes this.