Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Ugh! He LOVES the snow!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Just went I thought I was done with outdoor play in the snow now that the kids are all out of the house, most of the time, anyway.... along comes Brodie! We got our first flakes on Sunday. I have 3 glass doors out to our back yard, 2 sliders and a door with full glass. Sunday was spent running back and forth barking at the hundreds of tiny things falling from the sky which are definitely new and do not belong and as such must be deemed mortal enemies.

Going outside, mortal enemies became favorite playmates and we run and bark and shove our nose into the snow to toss it up in the air so it can be eaten. Sunday was a day of in the house, out of the house, in the house, out of the house. He was SOOOO over stimulated and ate so much snow that I got my steps in taking him in and out to pee. Monday, there was actually like an inch on the ground. He could not find green stuff so held onto his pee for so long, he's finally decided it was okay to pee in but he did not poo until after 2 Monday afternoon - he typically goes about 8 am. Yesterday was better, we got about 3 more inches and he poo'd by noon.

I cleared the deck off, well, we found a new game! Mommy shovels snow, tosses it over the deck railing and he runs around in the yard jumping and biting at the snow I throw. If I do not shovel quick enough, he demands I work faster by barking at me from below. If I do not respond to the constant commands, he runs up to the deck, up to me and barks his discontent! Yesterday, I kept him inside while I blew the drive, and then we spend the morning in and out clearing snow from the front walkways, the deck, the back walkways. We played frisbee in the snow. He is literally unfizzed by it.

Poor Kooper, he HATES snow, his little weenie gets frozen in the lightest bit of snow and being the dachshund that he is, he just hates being outside in inclement weather. Brodie, being the younger brother brat that he is, delighted in shoving his nose in and tossing snow at Kooper. I don't think he could understand why Kooper wasn't excited over it. Kooper was literally a sitting (squatting) duck when he went to poo; Brodie had a blast nailing him with snow. Reminded me of when my kids were little...

KarenCurtis, Margi, Darren and 6 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That's too funny! My guys are the same with snow...they love to play in it, run through it and eat it also. And chasing the snow I shovel, well that's their favourite game (not mine of course, that's when I have them do a down stay...only way they're quiet :ROFLMAO:).

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Sandy in CT like this.
  3. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :lol::lol::lol:

4. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow is also a snow lover but often eats too much of it. She has started to bark at neighbors shoveling or using snow blowers. Many of the shovelers stop and pet her so it's hard to convince her to stop. I am hoping she is going to adapt as she has for most barking stimuli.

KarenCurtis and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sandy, your post is hilarious! I can just see Brodie supervising and yelling at you shoveling. I think it's in Sheltie DNA that they all love snow and must burrow in it and play in it and snack on it. It's hard not to enjoy their antics though...they're so joyous! :happy:

6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Oh, you've made me laugh here! I remember when Layla, Bitsy, Annie Laurie and Beckon were young and romped joyously in the snow!!

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have to say, Ann said it best!!!
    Oh my word... that has to be one of the most entertaining post I have read in some time! It was like I was there virtually! Poor Kooper!!!

8. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Great post, sounds like Brodie had a blast, oh and poor little kooper :lol:

9. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Sounds just like Honey, she's always loved the snow. Nothings better than chasing balls that you can eat when you catch them! On sunny days she spends hours outside, laying in the deepest patch of snow. Best invest in a good pair of snowpants!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Joining in the snow theme of this thread here is Willow, out standing in her field:
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...0514375131-361171721030793803-IMG_2289-X2.jpg

Sorry, never could resist an opportunity to put in a pun.

Here's a little snippet of Willow chasing after snow. It's not exactly clear on the little movie but she slides her nose under the snow and flicks it up in the air. It was really windy in the field so the wind would catch it and blow it away from her so she chased it and then launched another nose full into the wind. One thing that is clear is that she loves life and takes joy in the snow.
    https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/...14350845-132849818511894645-IMG_2290-1280.mp4

I'm certain Brodie and Willow would have a blast if they had a chance to play together.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019