Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

UKC conformation?

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by Joanna, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Joanna

Joanna Forums Novice

Sep 25, 2018
    I have never done conformation with my Sheltie, Lexi, before. She is a purebred AKC champion and her sire is a grand champion with multiple BISS. Unfortunately I can't show her in AKC conformation anymore because she got pyometra (I think that's what it's called??) and had to be spayed, which is why I have her. I could technically show her in AKC events actually since I would be a junior handler but I would much rather do something that focuses on the dog, not the handler (UKC allows spayed or neutered dogs to be shown in some shows, right?) :lol:. I don't know much about handling, the equipment I need for conformation (other than a slip lead or choke chain and thin lead, but I don't even know where to get a nice one), and I really know nothing about UKC conformation. If anyone could give some information on UKC conformation that'd be great! I do know that product is not allowed in the dog, only water, and that the shows are much more laid back than AKC... other than that I don't know much about their rules. Thank you :)

P.S. I also don't know how to register her with the UKC... is it possible? Her sire was registered... not sure if he still is. He actually got his championship in one day because he won best in show :lol:

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    How old is Lexi, Joanna? The AKC has events at many shows for Veterans. They have to be over 7 years old and can be spayed or neutered. I've done them with my older girl who had to be spayed. You can check the premium for shows in your area at Infodog and they will say if Veterans classes are offered.

You do need to register with the UKC to show, but you can get a temporary registration online and enter the day of the show. They are much different and more casual than AKC. Here's a link that will tell you all about them and get you started if you want to register.

Lexi's breeder should be able to help you out with recommendations for show grooming her and can probably even give you some lessons if she's close enough. Good luck!

3. Joanna

Joanna Forums Novice

Sep 25, 2018
    Lexi is 4 so no Veterans for 2.5 years. I just found out that she would be disqualified in UKC for her WHITE EAR??? She is Bi Blue and has one mostly white ear. I was also considering showing her in ICKC (International Canine Kennel Club) but she's oversize at 15 inches. Ugh different breed standards for different kennel clubs are so confusing.

Lexi's former owner (she did kind of breed her - she is the owner of the sire) lives 2 hours away but hopefully I'll be going down to that area soon and possibly seeing her.

4. Joanna

Joanna Forums Novice

Sep 25, 2018
    I think it would also be helpful if someone could tell me whether or not she would be disqualified. Here are some pictures of her:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14PYqijIYttlK8nLUMmo7iyHgPxhlsDOa/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lUuGuiQjoAPo3-wAQdllvJBy3LfXVuiI/view?usp=sharing
    The second one is of her when she was wanting to eat the family bird... LOL!
    This is the UKC list of disqualifications
    Disqualifications
    (A dog with a Disqualification must not be considered for placement in a conformation event, and must be reported to UKC.)
    Unilateral or bilateral cryptorchid.
    Viciousness or extreme shyness.
    Smooth coat.
    Albinism.
    Brindle.
    White surrounding one or both eyes.
    One or both ears predominately white.