Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Unbiased (ha ha) opinions sought

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Caro, May 20, 2018.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    sheltie statue.jpg
    This statue is at a garden store near my mum. It's marked 'Collie' but it looks Sheltie to me. Really heavy and rather expensive, it would require shipping home (when I go back home).

Would you buy this for your garden or is it kitsch or ugly?
    Is it just because I'm missing my two, because let's face it,when I get home I'll have two real ones in the garden.

2. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I do like it! I have 2 smaller ones in my house by the fireplace. One is a sable Sheltie for Hollie, the other is actually a border collie but looks like a Sheltie for Shelby.

Caro likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    A smaller one would be much better, then I may be able to lift it. It would easily be the same size as Tully. All the other breeds had smaller version and the only 2 big ones were Border Collie and this Collie.

Shelby's mom - Do you think it would hold up to the outside weather?

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Heck, we are all Sheltie addicts and I have a Sheltie statue in my garden also!
    If it makes you happy... I say, go for it! I would ask the garden store about their recommendations. Sometimes they will tell you they are fine outdoors but need to be in a covered area.

Caro likes this.
  5. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Nope... I would have to get a garden.

RikyR, Hanne and Caro like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I love it! Yes, that's a Sheltie. My friend has several different kinds in her garden, and they're lovely. Kitsch is in the eye of the beholder. With lovely surroundings, it will look elegant. If the paint fades, spray paint it gold!!!

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I'd get it but then all things sheltie/collie I'm tempted to get:yes:

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I have three Sheltie statues outside! Two on my porch and one in my garden. I would buy it in a heartbeat! Chex and Greeter.JPG

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    So I think the consensus is - why are you asking, buy it now!!! Except for Sheep - who could just make a garden of statues, don't worry about the flowers.

There's so many Sheltie statues, it's probably just as well I don't live in the US with access to all that Sheltie paraphernalia. Now I just have to work out how to get it home.

Ann likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I never thought of that- a garden of shelties- might have to get busy collecting:winkgrin: