Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

University of Georgia for diagnostic testing

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by 2GoodDogs, Oct 28, 2020.

  1. 2GoodDogs

    2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

    Jun 17, 2010
    Hi, it has been a long wait but our appointment at UGA is coming soon. I have never been referred to a specialty veterinary medical school before and have no idea what to expect. Justus will have to fast for 12 hours, that alone will be hard to deal with.

    Due to covid-19 precautions I will have to hand him off in the parking lot and spend the day waiting for tests and results. I plan to pack my cooler with lunch, a book, my phone and of course, Flyer will keep me company. We were told to prepare to leave Justus overnight, so will try to do that.

    I imagine that the first thing that will happen is they will review why he is there and present me with a plan to diagnose his troubles, before they start scanning and scoping. I might want to pack some smelling salts for I'm sure I might faint dead away when they present the estimates.

    I expect to see a shaved leg for iv's while he's put under for the CT scan and nasal scope.

    I'm so full of 'what if's' I can hardly function!

    Do you have any experience with teaching veterinary hospitals and any advice for me?
    Sharon7 likes this.
  2. Calliesmom

    Calliesmom Moderator

    Mar 29, 2008
    I did not post about this when we did it but Cranberry went to Auburn small pet vet teaching hospital in early March.
    there weren't any real covid concerns back then so I was able to go in with him and talk to the vets/students.
    Since 2016, he's had very sporadic incidents of having trouble standing/walking which I thought was due to a pinched nerve. the first vet to see him just after the first incident said that couldn't be the cause and wanted to test for meningitis (spinal tap) and other things with a head CT. they wanted to do that stuff then and when I asked if he would need to be anaesthetized for those, they said yes. and then I said, he had breakfast this morning so we'll pass. they wanted $2000 to do the head CT and we did not do it then.
    so last year after Cran's er visit, he had 3 episodes- one in Sep, one in Dec and then one in Feb while we were at our vet for his annual. he did an exam and decided Cran needed to see a neurologist and get a head CT. so we went to Auburn- plan was an exam, head CT and go home later that day.
    so when the neurologist checked him out, he focused on the rear end saying he thought it might be lumbosacral disease and that he wanted the orthopedic specialists to check Cran out too. so from no food/water after 9 pm the night before and getting to our appt in the morning, they decided to keep him overnight so everyone could have a chance to examine him and get all the tests that were needed. I had some food since we were travelling so I left that with them and went home by myself. so he ended up getting xrays, ultrasound and mri of his back. he was diagnosed with several herniated discs- not bad enough for surgery so he got some meds and plans for rehab work, acupuncture/chiropractic if I could find someone close to treat him. and all that for just a little more than first vet wanted to charge for just a head CT. so he never got a head CT and essentially has pinched nerves.
    all in all, I would go back to Auburn if we needed that level of care and I'm sure that the vets at UGA will be just as good.
    Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  3. ghggp

    ghggp Moderator

    Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What is the reason you are taking Justus in? What are his symptoms?
    Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Sharon7

    Sharon7 Moderator

    Oct 31, 2009
    Sorry to hear Justus needs that level of care! I'm not in the loop as to what is wrong with him?
    Piper's mom and Darren like this.
  5. Sharon7

    Sharon7 Moderator

    Oct 31, 2009
    Holy cow - I'm very sorry to hear about this as well! Poor Cran - do you have any idea how this started?
    Calliesmom and Darren like this.
  6. Darren

    Darren Premium Member

    Nov 1, 2019
    I see you have mentioned handing over your dog in the car park. Be extra careful when doing it as I had a bad experience handing over my Monty to the vet a few weeks back. Totally out of character he went crazy trying to get away when the vet took him and managed to escape into traffic. I'm sure you'll be prepared but just a thought.
    Sorry to hear your going through a rough patch with him.

    Oh wow I'm sorry to hear you went through all that!
    Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Chris

    Chris Premium Member

    Feb 25, 2008
    Sending good thoughts.
  8. 2GoodDogs

    2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

    Jun 17, 2010
    Our fear is nasal carcinoma, the reality is it could be a nasty infection, a polyp, a foreign something. That's why we are going to UGA, to find some answers.

    Here is what led us to this.

    In July, one morning I had the not so bright idea to toss his breakfast kibble in one of those slow feeders. This one was green plastic with varying lengths of tall plastic fronds. He being the hungry boy he is dove head first into the dish and came up with bleeding nose, and it was a lot of blood.

    I took him in to the vet and he prescribed antibiotics and mentioned a UGA referral. I was pretty sure it was an injury and went home with the antibiotics, the bleeding stopped and did not come back ... until it did.

    October 8 it came back. There was no injury only a lot of bleeding. He would bleed, sneeze and finally it would stop. And start. And stop. That evening we were at the emergency vet. They took x-rays and did a blood test. His white cell count was really high. They recommended he go home on antibiotics and would refer to UGA if I wanted. The vet told me he was not a radiologist and he saw some the whatever it is and he, in his opinion, did not think it was a cancerous mass. So we went home and did a round of Clavamox.

    At the last dose of clavamox, the bleeding came back. I went running to our regular vet and asked for a referral to UGA, and he prescribed another antibiotic, I can't think of the name of right now. The antibiotics are (knocking wood) working great, there is no bleeding and he is acting very normal. There is some sneezing (dry) and coughing (dry) at night. One night in particular it was very upsetting, very snoring like and then went away and that level of obstructed breathing hasn't returned.

    Meanwhile, I googled bloody nose and became terrified. It could be cancer, could be something else.

    We all pray for something curable, right? This dog that has given me so much, taken me so far. I even risked my life to save him a few weeks ago when a hike to the waterfall went wrong...

    Our appointment is Monday, November 2.
  9. Piper's mom

    Piper's mom Moderator

    Jun 26, 2015
    Was Cran the one that had the issue while at the vet? Glad you finally figured out what was the cause and we're finally able to work out a treatment...finding the problem is half the battle!
    Calliesmom likes this.
  10. 2GoodDogs

    2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

    Jun 17, 2010

Share This Page