Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Update on Beau

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Pam, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I posted on the previous thread but so many of you were so kind to be concerned thought I would post the update here as well. Thank you all for your prayers.

Hi,
    So Beau is irrepressible. He is still sleeping a fair amount but gets whinny and wants to go out, which is tricky as all ~38 lbs of him must be carried up and down a set of 10 stairs! He hasn't been coughing which is really, really good sign the aspiration pneumonia is abating. His wound looks good and he seems to be in much less pain. His tongue, etc. still looks pale but it will take time for the red blood cells to regenerate. All in all he is doing really really well! Now keeping him occupied and not putting on more weight until the sutures come out will be a task! Thank you for all your prayers. I am looking at replacing all 11 windows in my sun room/living room area now. It did seem so neat to have beautiful chestnut windows with lovely wavy antique glass--well now .NOT. ! LOL Hubby keeps saying Beau is BY FAR the most expensive dog we have ever had...and he is right. Wondering about another sheltie when it is time for Beau to have a sibling--thinking calmer breed maybe, much as I have loved my shelties.
    Here is my poor baby resting. https://imgur.com/a/WWiczcf And the next link is the day before the accident with his first at home practice for odor with birch anywhere on first floor. We'd only been doing treats or class previously.
    https://tinyurl.com/y77n77dr

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    KarenCurtis and mimiretz like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm so glad he's doing better! That was a scary time.

Pam, any breed can cost -- and I believe it's because veterinarians now can care for so many more illnesses. When I was a kid, I had a purebred Cocker Spaniel. She got a rabies shot yearly. Period. She actually only went to the vet for her puppy shots. There was no parvo shot, no lyme, no nothing. She lived to 16, and never saw a vet for anything in that time. My friends lost dogs to distemper, mystery illnesses (that were probably cancer), and cars. Dogs ate scraps, Purina, Kal-Kan or Kennel Ration. Period. I lost a puppy to a stroke. But we love them and the trend now is almost over-vetting. It's hard to keep a balance.

RikyR and ghggp like this.
  3. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Oh Chris, I know. I grew up with a GSD who ate Kennel Ration daily, ate table scraps, ran free in our yard, got ice cream and lived to the ripe old age of 14 never having been sick a day in her life. Never had dental, etc. And yes, she barked like crazy sometimes, scared the newspaper person when she ran to get the paper--only to make everyone love herand to become a favorite of the mailmen, the newpaper people, the neighbors.
    I have had a shih tzu, a GSD and two shelties previously. My last sheltie, my heart dog Shadow, we called Ferdinand. He watched the birds and howled to them while I fed them, lay calmly while the rabbit hopped by and was great for a walk anywhere as long as people did not push their dog in his face. He wasn't great with dogs he didn't know or dogs that didn't have terrific dog language and was reserved with strangers but he was generally friendly and playful. He never chased cars or planes. He never had medical bills until he exhibited cancer--to which he eventually succumbed. Beau, is my baby, I am bounded very strongly to him but he is and has been tough since day 1. He is almost OCD about chasing planes and cars in our yard. He is stubborn and will sit down stubbornly when he doesn't want to do something...all things that increased as he approached 18 months, and has continued to increase since he turned 2. He is smart in and in classes and inside he behaves beautifully. We have a fairly small yard so I have been taking him to Rally class, odor class, agility, etc. just to keep his mind occupied but really as much as I love him, I don't want another with his personality. I will continue to do everything I can to keep training him, and protect and care for him but if I get a second dog it needs to be one that is somewhat less high maintenance.

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Gavin has cost me probably 10k in medical bills. We had 2 tumor removal surgeries and radiation therapy, which adds up. Nothing else was particularly unusual or expensive.
    Cancer is the big cost, which can be treated now when it wasn't before. My next dog, I will get insurance. It would have saved me some money (deductibles, types of coverage, etc. mean No plan would have covered everything but could have saved by 3-4 if I was lucky). Thankfully I have a very laid back Sheltie who is an amazing patient. I really did pick him for his personality, and the breeder was right.

5. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thank goodness Beau will be okay!! ❤️

6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    SOOOOOOO glad to hear that Beau is on the mend!!!!!

7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Fantastic news Pam, I'm so happy to hear that Beau is recuperating at home now! You must be soooo happy!
    Yikes, carrying 38 pounds of dog down the stairs will be hard on the back...I know what that's like, last October Piper hurt his shoulder and while only 23 pounds I had to carry him up and down 14 stairs for well over a month and a half!
    I totally understand your fear of weight gain, it can be very hard with a dog that can't weight bear! I would (and still do) give Piper diced broccoli, carrots and lettuce or cabbage with his food and cut back a bit on his meat (he's on raw). Also giving veggies for treats helped to prevent any additional weight gain (he was overweight already!) and he didn't feel deprived of treats.
    By the way I loved the video of Beau doing scenting...I'm sure he'll be back at it in no time!

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Pam thank you for this update I'm really pleased to see Beau is fine after the circumstances

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh but calmer dogs are so boooring! And anyway, is there any calmer breed? Just finished teaching a class of 11 young dogs - and not a calm one amongst them for half the time, and the other half they were simply angels, actually the calmest was a 6mth old lab. People are always telling me how well behaved and calm my two are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Quieter may mean not as bright, and you're combating chewing your furniture, soiling in the house or difficult to train, no dog is perfect. Besides if you are getting the windows fixed anyway...

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    this has to have been a freak accident- first time something like this has been posted on the forums. and with the internet, there'd be stories if bigger dogs had crashed through house windows. my old house had several windows that went to just a few inches above the floor. Cran liked to rest his head on the windowsill until I put some stuff in front of the window. They were also older windows so I'm glad that none of the dogs ever did anything like that. I did have interior shutters to block the view since I did/do have some dogs that liked to bark at anything that moves..................

ghggp likes this.