Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Update on Mixed breed or Sheltie?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by shelee, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Well I think third times a charm. Get her! It sounds like you have a great area for a sheltie, and I second the "they keep you young". While I grumble at having to haul my lazy arse out of bed at the crack of dawn in the summer to walk them, I know its good for me too. I'm a year older than you and wouldn't think twice about another puppy.

2. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Ann, you have FIVE Shelties?! My husband (9 yrs older than me) asked if I wanted to take the female and male! I thought he was crazy, esp since I know I am going to be doing all the training! I appreciate your reply and knowing you don't feel too old at 70 with a 3 yr old dog. I am looking for the best way to start training to limit the barking since I never even attempted it with my previous two. How do you do it with five dogs?

3. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Trini, thank you. I thought I was the oldest one around! It sounds like you have the exact same life style I do! Many people have told me my problems with my two other Shelties was lack of socialize and being in the country with a more solitary lifestyle. I actually did not have major problems with my first Sheltie, she was very shy and quite the barker, but we lived on a crop farm and it wasn't a issue. I was very worried because although I am a avid walker and I do plan on driving into town a couple times a week to walk the pup where there are more noises, people, other animals, I can't picture myself driving in every day and the nearest training classes are over 60 miles away. Missy, was 2 1/2 when we rescued her so there were no "puppy" issues. Thanks for a different viewpoint. I do have another question. How far can a 9-12 week puppy walk daily? A friend told me I can't walk my normal 3-4 miles with the pup till her plates are closed? Can you give me advice on that?

4. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Your friend is correct that a young pup shouldn't do long intense walks...also you don't want to have your pup on the ground in public areas until all puppy vaccinations are done (around 3 months)...but driving into town and allowing your pup to get used to the sounds, people, activity and smells is good...just let him/her observe from the car or be carried until full vaccinated. I don't do any long intense road walks with a pup until he/she is around a year and a half. My Laddie is now 8 months old and we do a little over a mile a day right now with allowing him to set the pace and stop as often as he wants to sniff and check out stuff. It will be another year before we really hit the roads for all out longer walks without constant stops. At 9-12 weeks I would still be getting a pup used to being on lead and only be doing walks around my own property (we have 6 acres). Playing games in your yard with your pup will help burn up that puppy energy while he/she is still little.
    Trini

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm 64 and got our puppy last March. I agree with all the advice already given. Since I have two older Shelties, once Meadow's shots were done we walked her separately on shorter walks until she was about 6 months. We now do a 2 mile walk daily and they could certainly do 3 - 4 miles. We did a lot of stops because everyone wanted to meet our Sheltie puppy! ;)

Playing with a soft ball in the house for fetch, starting Nosework games and basic obedience, playing with toys, we did all those things at home during the lockdown to wear her out.

Congrats on finding a new Sheltie family member!

6. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow and I started with backyard play and visitors to the house. If you don't have family, ask a neighbor to drop by and say "Hi" to your pup. Go into town and let her ride in a shopping cart at stores that allow dogs. Then once vaccinated she can start walks around the neighborhood. We started with very short walks, multiple times a day, and gradually increased it. Willow is two and a half and we go five miles per day now on a routine basis.

7. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    I have thought about going into a store. I say a store, because the only store in town that allows dogs is the Tractor Supply Store. I will do that, thanks.

8. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    LOL, lots of people think I'm crazy too! We had six until we lost Checkers' littermate Barkley last year. I started with three, decided at age 60 that I wanted to learn to show conformation, and the herd grew from there. Checkers, now 14, was my first show dog, who came to me at 2. Once she retired from the show ring, I needed another show prospect. My next three show prospects all had medical issues, but I'm one of those epic fails at rehoming show dogs. Once they come to us, they're family, for better or worse. I would love to get another show puppy but Hubby says we have enough. One of these days one will just appear and he'll love it. :sneaky:

As for barking, it's hopeless with 5. One starts and it's all over. It's easier to train not to bark if you only have one, I think. The best method I know is to train the dog to bark first, or "speak." Then reward for "quiet." It's a form of counter-conditioning. You can also train by responding to triggers. When you know something will start the dog barking, like the mailman, distract with a high-value treat and the "quiet" command. It takes time and persistence, but it can be done. Some folks here have successful methods that they can share. I'd suggest you start a new thread on "How to Train Barking" and I'm sure our terrific members will give you other ideas. :)

9. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    Oh, how exciting!! A new puppy!

I do think it can be more difficult to socialize in rural areas, especially a pandemic, but it’s totally doable.

I live in a rural area, at the end of a dead end road. Our nearest full time neighbor is half a mile away. I love this location, but it does mean I have to put in a bit more effort to socialize pups. Kip is 21 months old, and I am very pleased with how he has turned out. He is confident in new situations, friendly with new dogs and people, and able to focus in distracting environments.

First, he was set up for success by a very good breeder who was already taking him out socializing (got him at 10 weeks). So I would make sure your breeder is already doing some socialization. The breeder can safely introduce a very young pup to car rides, new people, new sounds, sights, and surfaces.

After I got Kip I took him into town about twice a week. We didn’t do puppy class, but I brought him to agility class right from the start and just played with him on the field. I took him to petco and tractor supply, Home Depot, coffee shops, political rallies and marches, and farmers markets. I always brought treats and did tiny training sessions in new places.

I was always on the lookout for socialization opportunities and took him with me everywhere I could. Then the pandemic hit when he was 8 months, and I had to be more careful, but still have a lot of open outdoor spaces where it’s reasonably safe.

Good luck!

10. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you for the tips!

Sharon7, Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.