Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Update on Shelby

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Shelby's mom, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I posted awhile back that Shelby was having some issues, drinking a lot, protein in her urine etc. trying to find out why. Cushing’s was negative, all blood work was good.....

Well we have some answers. She has high blood pressure. The 1st medication didn’t bring it down so we have made some changes and go back in a month. The vet feels it is one of 2 things. The high blood pressure would cause her kidneys to excrete protein so we have to get that under control. Or she has very early kidney disease (not impacting her blood work) which is causing the high blood pressure.

So we need to get her BP under control and possibly put her on a kidney diet. We will know more in a month.

But I must say since she has been on the BP meds she has been acting like a puppy again! Playing like crazy, very happy and energetic. Vet says this is good news, she says that as their BP comes down she sees the dogs become energetic and playful again! So I’m hoping we are on the right track.

2. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Think it can change like that - fantastic :hugs
    I cross my fingers :fl

Shelby's mom, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, never heard of a dog having high blood pressure!
    So glad the meds are working and Shelby is back to her old self!
    Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy, Shelby's mom and Piper's mom like this.
  4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Really glad for some positive news. Hope it's only the BP meds needed to keep Shelby feeling her best. Thanks for the update.

Shelby's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Good thing you caught it on time. Cody had high blood pressure, and we did not know it. He started having nose bleeds, and that led to the discovery of kidney disease. Never would have guessed high BP caused the bleeds.

ghggp and Shelby's mom like this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Our only indication was we noticed she was drinking more than usual and she peed in the house once which led to checking her urine and blood work and Cushing’s test. They only checked her BP b/c Cushing’s can cause high BP. Out of all that the only abnormality was some protein in her urine and the high B/P. If she would have never peed in the house we never would have found this out.

RikyR and ghggp like this.
  7. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Something you might consider is to have your vet run an SDMA test. It’s an early predictor of kidney issues.

Our vet ran it on Enzo when he ate some human medicine, and we were able to see that his kidneys were affected, but only minorly. We’ve run the test every 6 months since to ensure that they are healthy and improving (and they are!)

Shelby's mom and Sharon7 like this.