Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Upgrade to adult food

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Gingers Mom, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Gingers Mom

Gingers Mom Forums Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2008
    Hopewell, NJ
    Hi, Ginger is almost 9 mths now, how time flies.

When do you start using adult food as opposed to puppy food?

Thanks.

2. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

My two boys are both 10 months. I just brought Indy home 3 weeks ago and he was already on adult food.

I started switching Bacca over about 1 week ago. At 10 months he's putting on the pounds! He's over 25 pounds now, so I decided he's bulked up as much as he needs to at this point. I wouldn't say he's fat....just big boned and heavy!

3. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I think it depends on their size and activity level. Mia is almost 10 months old and I still have her on puppy (although I do mix all life stages in since day 1) but she is 1. small...only over 13" and weighs about 13 lbs..and 2..shes non stop activity and burns soo many calories espically with the cold I will keep her mixed a bit longer. Typically I keep them on puppy food till around a year though..as long as they are very active and not getting chubby a 10months to a year should be ok...

4. elaine2004

elaine2004 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2008
    Landaff, NH
    I usually keep them on for first year also .

I think the first years are very important ones. Kia is very active and is a nibbler so he eats as desired throut the day I start her out with 1 cup of dry kibble and feed chicken tender, or beef . She usually gets 1/4 cup of yougurt most every day sometimes an egg instead. She weighs 19 pounds. She's about 14 1/2 inches high. She doen't have a big appetite at all I must watch her closely to be sure she gets enough so she doesn't lose weight.
    I have some samples of Halo adult dog food coming. Kia will be a year old
    2/19/2009. Time does fly.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Well, I feel like just the most evil, Mommy Dearest!

Both my boys get kibble and nothing but (not even table scraps)....but I'm thinking about introducing raw diet.

Occasionally I treat them with raw carrots but that's about it.

Both my boys gobble their food which begs if they are just being greedy or whether they are getting enough of the right thing. I'll have to think on that.

6. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Mine get kibble and either chicken, steak, groundbeef mixed in and greenbeans(for the fat ones) , in the morning twice a week they get scrambled egg. My dogs eat better then me sometimes!!:lol: