Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Urgent... Richie is in a Kill Shelter! Please help if you live in Florida!!

Discussion in 'Adopt a Sheltie' started by ghggp, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh my heart breaks - he looks like a senior gentleman... bewildered at what's happened to him. I am crossing all fingers that he gets pulled out by someone quick! I wonder why Florida has so many Shelties needing rescue. :( Thanks for posting Gloria, lots of eyes here on Sheltie Nation (and big hearts too).

ghggp likes this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Poor old fellow, wonder what his story was, how did he end up there - he should be enjoying cuddles on the couch with his family at his age. He's older than 7 years though, just look at the eyes.

ghggp and Hanne like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, I thought he looked older than 7 too. I just can't understand why anyone would abandon a sweet soul like this! My prayers go out to him and anyone who lives in Florida that can help! Please.... Help...

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I also wanted to give you an update on Richie. Many of you have come forward willing to take him in so he will be saved. This shelter apparently has a 10 day hold so when that time is up he will be adopted and begin his new life in his own home sleeping in a warm comfy bed instead of a cold hard floor. Again, I Thank you from the bottom of my heart for so many of you reaching out to help. With your continued support we will be able to help many more of our precious breed.

With all my heart
    Barbara Davis, MFSR

Hanne likes this.
  6. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I just saw your post but I have noticed several older Shelties appearing in Shelties rescue when owners have passed and those are the lucky ones who had people aware enough to get them to a breed rescue when the owner passed and nobody was in a position to take the dogs.

Currently we have no family or friends in dog friendly living conditions that we would trust with our dogs should something happen. Perhaps that will change in time, but for their protection our will states our Shelties are to be sent to Shelties Rescue and money is set aside for costs associated with the rescue. While our local shelters are not kill shelters I wouldn't want my dogs placed in any of them. If at any point we find appropriate guardians we will change our will to reflect that but for now I know the best job will be done to find them safe, loving homes if DH and I are not available to do so. While not a happy topic it is one we all need to consider.

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    "Our WILL states our Shelties are to be sent to Shelties Rescue and money is set aside for costs associated with the rescue."

You are so smart to require this Bailey's Mom! I have the exact same provisions!

I actually have it divided into three levels.
    Level one: my Brother/Sister, Level Two: Back to breeders, Level Three: Michigan Sheltie Rescue.
    Each one would have financial compensation for their care until they pass.

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    As probably most here on SN know I am so much against - keeping dogs locked up in a cage
    -all kinds of forced means, for example. to teach dogs go nicely in line - not let the dog be with us all the time when we are at home etc. :biggrin2:

But then the"chain jump of" for me :cry:

If I leave this world before Minnie, and my daughter can not have her, then she shall nowhere else but to Rainbow Bridge.

I can not stand the thought of, if she would not be treated well - people do not understand her, what she said - and did not understand what great dog she is.

I know it is absolutely a selfish thought, but I love her so much :hugs that I could never let fate decide about her future life - never!!!!

(Think of all the dogs that must change homes because people think that buying a toy - and puppies that are misunderstood)

9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    First, I am so relieved Richie is safe. My heart just sank at his picture - he seemed sad and confused as well he might be. Thanks to all those willing to help this senior boy finish his life in comfort.

Second, we don't have kids, so we have arranged "godparents" for our Shelties should anything happen to both of us. It is in our will, in a Pet Trust, and money has also been set aside for their lifetime care. I would feel comfortable with them going to a Sheltie rescue, if that was the only other alternative. Having adopted three different adult Shelties, I know they can adapt to new homes. I would never have them put to sleep just because we were gone. I feared my Dad would have that reaction, that's why we made other arrangements.

10. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I could never willingly condemn my dogs to death because I could not care for them when there might be a great match for them out there. DH and I were blessed twice because Shelties were surrendered to Shelties Rescue that were good matches for our home.

If this is a concern for you, getting to know the people involved with Shelties rescue is good option. Lots of them are involved and engaged in other Shelties related activities too. This might give you some confidence that should the worst happen they could find a home where your dogs could live out a happy life.