Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Urgh, adolescence and bitches

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Caro, May 20, 2020.

1. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I think Kismet has hit her teens. She's 5mths old, still looking like a puppy, and supposedly from a line of bitches with late estrus. However, I do recall Tully hit the painfully annoying stage at 5mths.

The reason I think the hormones has kicked in is the behaviour of the others, maybe they can smell the hormonal change? The oldest cat just started hissing and swiping at Kis for minor things. And the relationship with Tully and Della has changed. Tully is growling, and when Della is on the couch in the corner, Tully tries to sit on her to take that spot (that used to be Deska's spot). Della is getting silly around food, taking things off the puppy and has pooped in the house. The puppy has also started resource guarding - but stupid things that the other dogs don't care about like the cleaner's duster and my slippers or socks.

So for those of you who have managed 3 or more bitches in the house - are there any secrets I should know? They won't be battling it out, Tully at 13 and not of great health, will always be priority.

Ah the joy of boys, when all you have to worry about is them lifting their legs! If only Deska was here, he'd keep them all in line!

mms_20200519_115539.jpg

Hanne, Darren, Sharon7 and 5 others like this.
  2. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2019
    But she's so cute! Are you sure it isn't some other bad dog sneaking into your house and doing all these naughy things!? It just can't be that little doll.

DianeP, Piper's mom, Hanne and 6 others like this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I agree! Can't be that little face!

Haha - guarding the duster - blame the dust on the dog - "well, she won't let me near it!" - will have to use that one as an excuse for my dust.. Funny kis!

Piper's mom, Darren, Sharon7 and 3 others like this.
  4. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    So cute

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I know, she's far too cute for her own good! Tully was pretty ugly at that age so maybe that's why the tough love was easier. When Kismet has her collar and lead on she's actually well mannered, although she barked at the dog walker today because she said hello to Della BEFORE her.

Piper's mom, Hanne, Darren and 2 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    As someone with 5 bitches, I feel your pain. It does make a difference if they're spayed...I can't recall if Tully and Della are. I've never had resource guarding problems but you will find any time you add or lose one that there's a "reorganization" of the pecking order. That's probably what's going on with yours. It sounds like Tully is reminding Della who's in charge and Della is just confused and not sure of her place. As long as they don't get snappy with each other, they'll sort it out.

I'm fortunate in that my girls have always gotten along. The older ones are spayed now too, which helps. My younger ones respect Checkers and Lacey as the dowagers and leave them alone. I know people who have had to move girls on because of fighting or they just could not coexist. I keep an eye on them when I see any testiness and issue stern "NO"s as needed and that's done it here. Kismet's age and approaching hormones are certainly adding to the mix but as long as she isn't trying to take over, they should be fine. Hang in there, Caro!

Piper's mom, Hanne, Darren and 2 others like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Layla became The Destroyer at about that age. Dining room chair bottom, stair rug, rug fringes... We were at our wit's end until she grew out of it by the time she was about 8-9 months.

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh Lord haven't gotten to that stage yet... Meadow's still sweet, but definitely trying to push her little weight around a bit more with Faith and Eli. They are not hesitant about letting her know the boundaries though. Faith is actually much more into playing with Meadow now. She was pretty standoffish and put-out at first. I don't get the feeling that Meadow will try and become top dog, but we shall see. Her breeder said likely around 8 months before her first heat.

I've been lucky - with 3 different combos of 3 I have not had a problem once the initial adjustment was over, even with 3 girls.

9. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I've got a behaviour consult next week for Della. I think that will be the biggest issue. Even though Della and the puppy love to play, I can also see problems with their relationship because Della is just a great big ball of anxiety.
    Kismet is far more destructive than my other ones were, nothing is safe - I don't even know where she finds half the stuff she comes in with. But I just discovered she's got teeth issues and will need some dental surgery next week so that would explain why she's being a little difficult. Poor little tyke. Doesn't explain the jockying between Tully and Della though.

Ann, I don't know how you manage 5! I think I'd go insane. Della and Tully are desexed but Kismet will be intact until she finishes conformation. Mind you, with Covid don't even know when we'll be able to get started. I still need to do some classes first before hitting the ring.

10. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There's strong question about my sanity, Caro!!! :wacky: