Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

very smelly pup - not anal gland - HELP!

Discussion in 'General Health' started by kippersmom, Apr 6, 2009.

1. kippersmom

kippersmom Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2009
    Midwest
    Hello!!!
    I just joined. Hi everone! We bought a sheltie pup about two months ago. We have noticed that Kipper is very smelly (doggy), even after a bath. I have tried several different shampoos, even an antibacterial one, but he stinks right after the bath. It smells like really strong smelly feet ~ not a fishy, anal gland odor (my mom's dog has anal gland problems, so I know what it smells like). Our vet has checked him, and he is healthy. Gums and teeth are healthy and just starting to lose the baby teeth. We just had him neutered about 10 days ago. We have even tried bathing him twice a week, and brushing him every day, but that didn't help. His snout smells like the worst rotten, poopy smell, too :dead:. What could it be?? He has no access to trash, and our back yard is fenced with no other dogs. We feed him Iams, but have decided to try switching to a lamb based food to see if that helps. I always had shelties growing up and loved that they weren't typically stinky dogs. Help!! We can't stand the smell!!:confused2:

2. Crestlynn

Crestlynn Forums Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Could he be eating his own poo or do you have cats and he's getting kitty krunchies???? Otherwise, I would be looking into some sort of skin issue as for the body smell and look to see if he has anything stuck to his teeth for the snout odor.

3. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Is he by any chance teething? Sadie's breath smelled like something died while she was teething, because of the blood and irritation caused by cutting teeth.

If it is, it will more than likely go way once he's done teething

4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Puppies do have a distinct smell, which changes as they grow their adult coat. I can't remember exactly how long it took for the smell to change (maybe one of the breeders does?) but it wouldnt surprise me if it latest a few months. But you could check at your vets - they can tell you if it is the 'puppy smell'. Or you could try sniffing a few other puppies and see if they odour is similar.

PS - there is no getting rid of the puppy smell with shampoo - I remember trying.

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Is it the breathe or the fur that stinks?

If the breathe, then I confirm OntarioSheltie's teething assessment.

If it's fur, then I would be concerned. There should be no need to bath your pup twice a week.

Bacca is almost 1 year old and has only needed a full bath once (I dry shampoo about every 2nd week). My partner (who hates doggy smell) keeps commenting on how sweet he smells - for a dog!

Both dogs need baths now, but I'm holding off until things dry up a little (as they will only get messy again in a day or so). But neither smells particularly nasty....just a little musty.

Perhaps its time to see the vet? This does not sound normal in a young dog.

6. Crestlynn

Crestlynn Forums Enthusiast

Dec 29, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    Okay....I've had lots of pups...two that just turned 5 mos. old and have made a major turn over in teeth and I have never had any foul odor during that time. I have heard others say this, but I'm wondering why some might smell and others don't? I've also never had my puppies smell when changing coats other than when they stay particularly wet after a bath (not blow dried) and hold on to the 'wet dog' smell.

What about the bedding the pup is on? Could it have urinated on it and it wasn't caught and now it has a funky smell?

None of my dogs have a particular odor about them unless they are wet, rolled in something nasty or have had some kitty krunchies!

7. kippersmom

Apr 6, 2009
    Midwest
    Thanks for all the good suggestions! I'll reply to the suggestions below:

He is teething now, but it's not his breath. He was smelly from the time we got him (9 weeks) and he is now 4 months old. We bought him from a breeder whose husband raised pigs~!~ so we laugh at that, wondering if he's been bred with a piggie.

His fur stinks. His feet stink. It smells really, really doggy. I had shelties growing up and never had them stink like this, that was why I was glad to get a sheltie again.

He sleeps in a crate, on a pillow filled with polyester fiber-fill, a crate liner that is fake sheepskin, and a non-ravelling polar fleece blanket. He has never had an accident in his crate. He house-trained at 11 weeks, which was a blessing!

He is in puppy school, so he has been getting a lot of "training treats" that have a high odor. I just stopped giving these to him three days ago to see if that would help.

My vet told me to give him a bath twice a week~!~ :eek2: to which I said Shelties are typically clean animals and I never had to bathe my shelties more than twice a year. She didn't seem concerned, but I'm going to address this again when we go tomorrow.

I'm stumped.:confused2:

Thank you very very much for all of your advice. This is great!!

8. MobiusTubes

MobiusTubes Forums Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm guessing it's his diet.

You mentioned that you stopped giving him the "smelly treats" ... that might work but of course it will take some time. (have no idea how much)

If that doesn't work, you might try switching his food.

If that doesn't work ... well, I'm out of ideas myself :smile2:

9. Crystal1

Crystal1 Forums Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2009
    Ft Worth, TX
    Are you sure that he isn't eating, rolling in, and walking on his pooh? A lot of dogs do this unless you clean up right after they pooh. They like to pooh pretty much in the same area. Right now it has been raining a lot here, and I tend to get behind in picking up the pooh during the rain. My Buddy eats very fast, so I feed him slowly so that he doesn't digest it too fast and have to much tasty stuff left in his pooh. Good Luck!!

10. kippersmom

Apr 6, 2009
    Midwest
    My vet wasn't concerned about how smelly he is. :rolleyes2:
    I have switched him to a lamb based food (purina one??). He was on Iams puppy formula. I also bought him the lamb based Iams biscuits ~ and he loves Cheerios, so that is a good training treat! He'd sell his soul for a Cheerio :biggrin2: I noticed he's a little less smelly and it has been over a week now, so that is encouraging! He's starting to get his big boy fur in and maybe that will help. It's so funny ~ his hair all along his back is growing in sideways, like a bad comb-over :lol:
    He's not rolling in his poo that I know of. We watch him pretty closely ~ but anything is possible! I am going to check out some of those cleaning wipes that smell good for dogs.

Thank you for the advice, everyone!
    Puppies aren't for wimps :winkgrin:
    ~Smelly Kipper's Mom