Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Vomiting vs regurgitation

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Cindy, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    So last night Gavin threw up. He had asked to outside at 11PM to pee, so when he asked out at 11:20 I made him wait until 11:40. as soon as the bedroom door was open he threw up and then once more when got him to the backyard.

there was no retching like normal (I think regurgitation is what he normally does and I get warning retches as he tries to bring stuff up).

It was rank!! smelled awful even after being cleaned up

mostly liquid with a bit of grass (no partially digested food like I would normally see).

He had no other issues the rest of the night...should I be worried? it is new for him...

Piper's mom likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    How is he this morning Cindy? Did he want breakfast? I'd probably wait at least 24 hours to see unless he keeps vomiting and won't eat or drink. Hope he's OK!!!

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    hes acting normally. just got back from our squirrel watching walk.
    I assume it was something he ate?

the smell was just awful....

btw. seeing quite a few more people out this morning than usual for the past month. fewer are wearing masks that I would have thought considering the new regulations here. all the older people are wearing them, though.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Funny you mentioned eating grass, Cindy. Some of mine are eating grass too and we've had a fair amount of throwing up the past few days. Checkers and Lacey are also eating dirt! Digging holes in the ground and actually eating the dirt. What's coming up is nasty! Makes me wonder if it's something seasonal. But it's not just Gavin.

Can you give him Pepcid? I don't know what else he takes. I give mine 5 mg of Pepcid to keep the acid down when they do this, which is half of one of the original formula pills.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Kooper is eating grass lately too, and dirt. Must taste yummy right now!

Hopefully Gavin is okay! Please update us on how his tummy is!

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    i normally give pepcid, too. but since he was fine overnight i held off.

maybe its stress causing all the grass eating...
    having to keep an eye on me all day every day

Sharon7, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I would assume it's from the acid that made it smell nasty. I wouldn't worry if he's ok today, who knows why (they do have a different digestive system than us) they do this but sometimes they need to. Piper upchucked a couple days ago, just liquid also (he cleaned up his mess...gross) and was fine afterwards.

Ann likes this.