Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Was it boredom?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Wendy C, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    The past 2 mornings after our normal walk Cooper came home and turned his nose up at his food. The first morning I ended up picking it up until his second feed in the afternoon. We did our afternoon hike came home and he ate, but kind of picking at it. Yesterday morning the same thing, no interest in the a.m., but in the afternoon I added a teaspoon of pumpkin purée and you would have thought I gave him a filet! lol. Do dogs get bored with their food?? I have always fed pumpkin to my dogs, but I hadn’t started Cooper yet because he had some issues when he was younger with really soft stools.

JacqueZ likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Some dogs do get bored with their food. My Barkley is a picky eater. When he was a puppy, he decided around 8 months of age that he didn't like what I was feeding him. A change in the flavor of the brand got him eating again. All my others are typical Shelties who would eat cardboard if it was in their food bowls, but not Barkley...the slightest hint of something suspicious and he refuses.

One question: Is this a new bag of food? Sometimes, dog food does spoil, or you'll get a bad bag. If that's the case, stop feeding it and call the company.

Also, pumpkin won't give him loose stools. It's a terrific additive to food that works for both the runs and constipation. Mine get a heaping spoonful in every meal. So you're fine using it. You can also add other things, such as yogurt, baby food or wet food, but if you do, he's just training you to humor him. I'd think about trying a different kind of food for him if the pickiness continues.

Sandy in CT and Wendy C like this.
  3. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    My house that would be a good way to starve. Sca could telepathically wish food into his belly at ten paces. Spitfire learned fast to guard your bowl and leave no crumbs. Angus knows that anything left will not be his and it is better to eat it before the orange horror attempts a strafing run (for which he would get in trouble)

EDIT: if you think I exaggerate on Sca. He would take one lick of water then lick his bowls, take another lick of water and lick his bowls....wet tongue was best to catch any residue left. That was his normal mode not just for a treat.

4. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    The breeder had him on Origen puppy food and without getting into the whole boutique food conversation my Vet who we have trusted since we moved here suggested a change because of his really soft stools. We changed and he was doing fine....I checked the bag it’s ok. I put it down to boredom because it was the only change in his behavior, he definitely wasn’t showing any signs of illness. I certainly will continue with the pumpkin, as I said both my other dogs had it daily. I’m groaning at the thought of changing food again. lol. He turns 7 months in a couple of weeks do most Shelties eat once or twice a day....wondered if that would make a difference? As always thanks for everyone’s input! :)

Sandy in CT and Calliesmom like this.
  5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow eats anything and everything that comes her way. I would think she had a problem if she ever turned anything down.

Sandy in CT, Hanne and Calliesmom like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Mine have always eaten twice a day as adults. I think most people feed that way. It's supposed to be better for their digestive system.

Origen is a very rich food; I'm not surprised you saw soft stools on it. It doesnt agree with many Shelties for some reason. Glad your food is OK. I think you nailed it...he's in the teenage boredom phase! :yes:

Sandy in CT, Calliesmom and Wendy C like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    mine eat twice a day- if they don't finish a meal, they get to see the vet......................

Ann and GlennR like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Minnie gets 2 meals with "Dog food in pills" :wink2:

- for dinner she gets Spring cabbage ?? in danish "spidskål" and she really loves it :yes:
    Because :hide I couldn't bear to tell her " now you are big - then there are only two meals a day"

Calliesmom, Piper's mom and Wendy C like this.
  9. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Mine can get picky at times, so I started adding warm chicken bone broth (Nature's Logic) to their food in the morning and they love it. They are not spoiled.:)

10. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I think Origen gives many dogs loose stools - always read that about it in reviews - it is a very rich food!

Brodie did go through a picky stage, maybe around the same time? He is not a huge fan of puppy food, like he doesn't scarf his down at all, but we went through a stage where breakfast could take until lunchtime to finish. Breeder had him on Purina Pro Plan Savor puppy I think it was and he would pick, pick, pick. I went through a number of foods before settling on one; one I wasn't a fan of the nutritional breakdown after reading shelties should be on lower protein diets, one gave him loose stools, two he picked at. We separate the dogs and they have dinner in their kennel since Kooper scarfs his down and Brodie does not. Breakfast is not an issue since the old man sleeps in and Brodie does not.

Wendy C, Calliesmom and Ann like this.