Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Water bowl for "side" drinkers?

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by k9kreationz, Sep 19, 2011.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    Was wondering if anyone else has this problem and how to solve it.

I prefer metal bowls and have one that looks like this. I had to pick that as an example. But Miko has been licking at the side of the bowl (on the inside). With his kidney issues, he needs the water, by my gawd, he's really not drinking anything. First, his tongue isn't even getting into the water and secondly, when it does, it's going out and over the edge making a mess.

What kind of bowl do you think will fix that issue?
    Their other water bowl looks like this. And they both dribble out and over the edge because they lick the sides.

What happened to putting your nose in the middle? LOL Miko used to do this so not sure why it's changed. Thoughts?

It's not metal, but I'm liking this bowl. I have a coupon from the website for $10 off. It's raised, which I like. Has an edge on it. Wonder if that'll prevent water from going over the edge. So weird.

Can you teach a dog not to drink from the side? Do you think he does this because his other bowl is raised? Hmmm....

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
  3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Bentley always drinks out of the side, too. I tried to find the bowls that we have online, but I can't find them. We have one like one of your metal ones, but he prefers this one that we have that has a smaller bowl area with sloped sides.

4. DPSheltie

DPSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
  5. Mally's Mom

Mally's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009
    Illinois
    Mally has bowls made like this one. We got them at Petsmart. They are his favorite bowls.

6. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Danielle and Ashley,

So when your pups drink, the water doesn't go up the side and out the bowl?
    I had put something under the bowl to raise it a bit and wow, there was a ton of water on the outside of the bowl. Messy drinkers.

I just find it so weird that Miko just started doing this.
    Okay, so maybe I need something with a bigger lip area. hmmm....

7. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    That's cool. I never knew that. Learn something new everyday. I wonder if all dogs drink like that. Because that dog sure seems to be splashing around a lot. Miko doesn't splash too much....normally. Koji though, big splasher.

Neat.

So there's the question then.....why do the boys lick the inside of the bowl if they are supposed to collect water with the back of their tongue? You'd think they'd stick their face more in the middle to get more water.

8. DPSheltie

DPSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
    There is not a noticeable amount of water escaping the bowl when he drinks....only when I trip on it or put it down wrong!!!

Riley almost rests his nose on the top of the bowl when he is drinking, so there is not a great deal of splashing. He is also a very neat drinker...as opposed to my previous lab who would slosh water everywhere and take a big mouthful of water then 'rinse' as he walked away by allowing the water to drip out of his mouth all through the room....:eek:

9. k9kreationz

Oct 24, 2008
    Miko is a very neat drinker too. Usually. So this new way of drinking is just strange and messy. I think he's been taking lessons from Koji, the messy drinker. He likes to "rinse" too.

10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    If I fill the bowl up all the way Bentley will spill it down the side. I just try not to fill it too full.