Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Water Treadmill

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So Gavin has significant muscle wasting on his bad rear leg (he injured himself last year, and apparently has been not using the leg much since then. I thought he got better, then re-injured this year but who knows at this point).

We are doing PT at the vet. He HATES the water treadmill. The tech gets in with him and he wears a life vest. He refuses to look at me or take treats while in that tank :( As soon as he is out he is happy as a clam, loving the toweling and belly rubs. I am doing lots of at home exercises with him, he is on tons of supplements, and just started Ichon.

We go back Tuesday and I hope he is less freaked out by it. We need to get him walking more on that leg and build up muscle! I am doing tripod stands and having him wear a dog boot on the good rear leg several times a day when he is more active to encourage him to use the bad leg more.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Cindy, I am so sorry to hear Gavin is so scared of the water treadmill. Hopefully, in time he will grow to like it. Maybe, once the weather gets hotter, he will appreciate the cool water? Glad you are doing other exercises to build up his muscle strength. I know how hard it is when the loose muscle tone.

It certainly is a labor of love. He is blessed to have you as his mum!

Virtual hugs to you and Gavin. Keep us posted on his progress!
    Fingers and paws crossed that it goes better next time and in the future! :yes: :hugs:hugs

3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

The tech said the water was warm...He was just so scared, baby boy. He was happy the rest of the day, so he wasn't mad at me. He did fine on the shaking platform and for the laser. They kept feeding him treats, and maybe will try higher value yummies next time.

We go back Tuesday. I was going to just drop him off for the day, but with him scared of tehe water treadmill I will try and see if I can leave work early. The appts we have are all in the middle of the day, no morning or late afternoon :(

4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, please do leave work early! Gavin needs your moral support! I think it might cause a setback if he did not have you there for moral support!

Can you take a vacation day?
    I was very blessed that my office totally understood that my pets were my family! Any time I needed they granted!

When you mentioned a boot for his other good leg were you talking about a brace like the one pictured below?

I would think it might offset the pressure on his good leg and give him stability.

IMG_0029.JPG
    Fingers, arms, legs, and paws crossed that it goes more smoothly at his next session!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Layla swims to keep up her joints. She absolutely despises it -- but it's fun when it's over. "I hate swimming, but I love having swum!"

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Oh, the exact opposite. A dog bootie like for hiking or even PAWZ to encourage him to NOT use the good leg as much and to use the weaker leg more
    Taking advantage of dogs not liking things on their feet (at least to begin with), and if that annoying thing is only on one leg that hopefully they will use other normal legs more. So far his good leg has no issues. The vet is concerned with building up the muscle in his bad leg and how much weight he offsets to the good leg.
    I am not sure how well the bootie works....

7. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Absolutely totally agree with Gloria :yes:
    - also think you will get it very bad when you know he is sad and you are not there.

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Ha! I think you underestimate how much Gavin has the vet and vet techs wrapped around his little paw :) He loves all the attention and treats from them, me not so much. I have a 3 week vacation overseas coming up, so my vacation days are already spoken for, so to speak. It is at 2:45 so I will try and sneak out of work early.

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    That’s great that your vet has the treadmill there. So good for your boy! I agree on the higher value treats. Maybe some chicken or even homemade liver treats? I bet he’ll get more comfortable with time.

Something else to consider is laser treatment. It has worked really well for Enzo’s back injury.

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So no treadmill today. Gavin decided to eat my heating pad (the rice filled kind you microwave) last night and due to diarrhea concerns wasn't allowed to use the tank. So he got acupuncture and laser instead (in addition to the shaking platform and BOSU, tilting platform, land based exercises). His next visit is at 5PM in a week, so I can go to that. He also was on treat limitation and did everything she asked even though he was basically being teased with treats.