Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

We have a visitor....or do we?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by k9kreationz, Feb 19, 2018.

1. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I thought I'd post even though I've been away for forever. See attached. :)

We have a visitor named Maddie. She's an approximately 6 years old, intact, Weimaraner. All I can say is, OMG, this breed is sooooooo different than Shelties (herding dogs), that's for sure. Anyone own or ever own a Weim? I'm sure you're dying to know why I have a Weim in the house. Long story very short, my BF's uncle passed away a couple of years ago and she was living with non-dog people who really didn't have time for her, offered us to take her, and bam, we took her home. We did so for two reasons, 1. we felt sorry for her and know we could give her a better life assuming she's not too energetic, and 2. my BF was close to his uncle and I have a feeling she'll stay here because he doesn't want to re-home her outside the family and this is the only thing he really has of his uncle (but he's trying to be pragmatic and making sure it's good for the family, aka the Shelties.

I have to say, it's been such a trip. It's interesting living with a gundog. I've only really been around herding breeds (agility), so this has been a total eye-opener. My bf loves dogs that cuddle and Koji is a total cuddler, but dang, he holds nothing to the Weim. She wants to sit on me all the time or flops her 70lb? body against me as she curls up in the tiniest ball. Then we found out she's a snorer. Like seriously, on her back, snoring. It's hilarious! Thankfully and maybe because she's older, she's not super active, but we'll see how much of the house gets destroyed on Thursday (her first full workday being alone).

The three of them are getting along in the sense of everyone ignores everyone. Of course, we took her in and next thing we know, she's going into heat. Seriously, people, this is new to me. Getting Vogue was new (never had a female dog ever in my life) and now I have a female in heat. Yikes! Trust me, there are no walks right now (she pulls like crazy and this ain't no 20lb Sheltie I can control) and there won't be until she's done. We're even making sure she stays away from the fence because the neighbor has 3 dogs and who knows if they're fixed or not.

This has been such a crazy experience and for me, especially, because I've never owned a large dog; Koji is the largest dog I've owned. And yet, they consider Weim's to be "medium" dogs, the same as Sheltie's? Really? All I can say is, I thought Shelties were beautiful, damn, that girl is gorgeous and I prefer floofy dogs. Vogue looks even tinier and it makes me truly appreciate their size. I know I can pick up Maddie, but yeah, you know how hard it is to move a Weim that's sleeping between your legs because she MUST snuggle? LMAO!!

Thought I'd share with my Sheltie family. This is the weirdest, but funnest thing. Yes, I know that's not a word, but too bad. Haha!

Attached Files:

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Congratulations on your inheritance. :lol: Time to spay and enter an obedience class!

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My friend has two Dalmatians and they are crazy cuddlers! My goodness, she always has one on either side of her when she is on the sofa!

She certainly is a beautiful dog...

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    she's very pretty but yes on the large side for me...
    neighbors had 2 but didn't keep them in the yard and one got run over....
    also have a friend with 2 Dals- puppy girl is a little on the over energetic side; older girl is awesome......

I'm sure that things go well, shelties seem to get along with everyone.

5. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Gorgeous dog. I was raised with gun dogs, they are the sweetest. I had two English Setters here, being married,
    I so loved them, they were brothers. After training and working with them we had so much fun. They were
    my sons hunting dogs. The one brother lived til he was 15 1/2 years old. Then I got my Lucky after I lost
    both the setters.

6. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    OMG, right!?!? And then she goes into heat. Oh well, on the upside, she hasn't gone psycho or anything, and Koji and Vogue are doing fine with her being in heat. She's really obedient, but yeah, formal training would be a good thing.

That was me during my vacay. Weim on one side, Sheltie on the other, me wondering where the other Sheltie is. lol. I'm always surprised at how small of a ball she can curl up in (the Weim). She takes up as much room as Koji sometimes. It's crazy!

OMG, that's horrible! Trust me, she's on the large side for me. Largest dog I've lived with ever! I'm just glad she takes up less space. Of course, I'm worried when I have to pick her up and put her in the car or something because she's sick or injured. 65lbs is way different than 20lbs, ugh.

I never expected them to be so sweet. Not sure why to be honest. I kind of want to train her to do what she's supposed to do, but I'm not a hunter and wouldn't know the first thing about what they do, lol. She's super duper smart though, so I'm sure she could learn anything.