Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

We rushed Minnie to the Vet, she's fine!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Aug 21, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    This was quite a scare, and I feel like a bad dog mom! I was playing with Minnie, she was chasing her flirt pole, which she LOVES to do. She threw up twice. I brought her in the house, she seemed fine so we did her ears, which came out perfect, lol) We finished this and she then threw up bits of green leaves- the vomiting was very little though. She seemed okay again until I took her outside on the deck- her back leg was moving stiffly, so we all jumped in the car and raced to the vet. We concluded that Minnie had eaten some hydrangea leaves overhanging our deck ( they are now gone, we took care of that when we got home). Her exam was good, she's fine but the vet said she may vomit again and/or have diarrhea. She's sleeping now. Ugh!! I'm glad her breeder is not on this forum, I don't want her to know. I feel so bad!! We had to cancel her play date with the sheltie puppy and two other Shelties we had gotten together with back in June, but we will see them tommorow. Minnie also has agility tommorow late afternoon. She should be fine. Poor Minnie!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, what a scare! So glad to hear she is OK!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Glad she's OK, Karen. It's amazing the stuff they can get into, and so fast your head will spin. It's happened to all of us. The important thing is that you recognized it and took care of it right away. Give Minnie a pat for me!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    What a scare! I just posted today that most animals will stay away from plants that aren't good for them - but Minnie is a puppy!

So glad she is okay!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, I did cry in the vets office, I was relieved I guess! I feel like such a mom.

ghggp, Hanne and Ann like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Sargent Minnie! You had to go to sick bay. You do not eat stuff growing in the field. You only eat what's served in the mess hall!
    Colonel Underpants

ghggp, jomuir, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    What a scare - puppies certainly know how to keep us on our toes! Could have happened to anyone - don't beat yourself up. Minnie is in good hands. Hopefully she is fine by tomorrow.

8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Karen, I know that terrible sinking feeling when your pup ingests something they shouldn't. The cannabis scare we had with Willow had me feeling incompetent and careless. I was very frightened when it happened. However, Willow is swoop, snap, swallow even now. No matter how short her lead I have to watch like a hawk to prevent ingesting stuff on the pathway. She seems to lean towards clover blossoms which don't do her any harm in the very small quantities she bites off.

9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie here! i is now a Sargent? i will tell my bruther!
    sandstorm here!! colonel Underpants!!!! minnie is still a private! i is a Sargent!

Hanne and jomuir like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Oh my goodness, how scary!
    Your certainly NOT a bad mom Karen...you did what you should've, taken her to the vet. Heck, I have a hydrangea plant and didn't know it could make them sick! My guys are older but they still like to eat weeds, not as bad as a puppy though.
    I'll definitely keep an eye on my dogs, make sure they leave it alone (I just planted it this year so I'll move it next year).
    Glad she'll recover quickly but very scary indeed!

Hanne, KarenCurtis and GlennR like this.