Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

We went on a road trip too

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Calliesmom, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    We went to the Atlanta area and stayed with Justus and Flyer for the weekend.
    Cran got 5 more Master points, Jocu got NQd in Intermediate by his mom missing a sign in the morning trial and Destin got 2nd place in Intermediate in the afternoon trial.
    Video to come...................

Sharon7, Sandy in CT, Ann and 2 others like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Good boy Cran and Jocu..bad mom! So easy to do!
    Hey, I know what that's like....I did excellent with Piper and Finnie and with both dogs I went on the wrong side of the finish sign (the judge didn't tell me until after Finnie) and boy oh boy did I get chit from her! She said "I should've NQ'd you and you did it with BOTH DOGS!" She took 10 points off for that! I'll never make that mistake again!
    And then we had a sign Stand dog, leave dog (6 feet to call sign) sit dog then front and finish.
    I did everything EXCEPT for the sit:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    I loved this judge...she tells me how I did a beautiful stand stay and front and finish but you forgot the sit!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Of course this is in afternoon when I'd been up since 5 am lol.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I saw some people do that at this trial- pass the finish sign on the wrong side.... not sure how many points they might have lost- don't think anyone NQd for it.
    when we have the Stand, Leave - either sit or down, front and finish..... Cran never seems to get it right..... or he comes most of the way to me before doing whichever he should be doing.....

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Piper usually wants to down instead of sit (signals Utility...down sit come) so I signal sit and say sit very sternly. Lol working so far as I don't screw up!

5. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Justus and Flyer want you to move next door and we could train all day. :)

Ya'll are making me want to Rally on... almost. :D Still a bit shook up by how hard the Master's signs are. Justus did it but I sure cost him a lot of glory!

The ink isn't dry yet on Flyer's RAE, so maybe he will return to rally later on.

Pipers Mom, do you think a Rally and Obedience dog can be successfully shown in both at the same time? Justus started getting very barky in rally, I think he doesn't want me to talk in the ring or he preferred the long heeling patterns to choppy and bossy moves.

Anyway, what a delight to have Calliesmom and crew here! I discovered my house just doesn't have enough shelties!

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- some of the Master signs are pretty hard but some of them aren't too bad.....

I think showing in both depends on the dog and which level in each you are at. I had this silly idea to finish Cran and Dix in Rally from the A classes so we didn't finish Beginner Novice until they'd gotten their RE titles. and then we went on to Preferred Novice. Cran really didn't bark in either Novice class. It will be a while until we're ready to try Open but I will be interested to see what happens.

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm not sure anymore...I thought so before but after this show I'm beginning to think differently. Perhaps if I had a dog competing in Novice I would do both but in the higher levels ...maybe not.
    Thank god Piper got his title on the Friday because he NQ'd the other 3 days but I also had him entered in Rally excellent and Advanced each day! Poor guy was exhausted by the last day! I'd like to try for his OTCHX and Masters but I'll definitely NOT do Rally if I'm doing doubles in obedience.

I find Piper gets very barky in Rally as well, I tried to slow my pace and get his attention really good before each sign but there are still times he barks. I almost think that your right, the heeling patterns are almost predictable to the dogs and they know what to expect...even with Open and Utility your training the same thing over and over. In Rally they don't know what's coming next, I get a lot of forging and barking if I go to fast. Out of 8 Rally runs I only had 1 with Piper that we earned 100. That one was only one bark lol. The rest was one or two barks every few signs, lost 2 points each run for that.

So nice that you guys help each other out, sure wish I lived closer!

ghggp likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we do some stuff over email but hadn't seen each other in person since 2018 Rally National in Ohio. It would be great if we all lived closer together- I know from watching your videos that you have trained some awesome stuff that I would like Cran and the boys to be able to do.
    Strangely enough, another competitor at the last sorta local trial entered her dog in Rally because it's not the same every time. Her dog was starting to anticipate very badly in obedience and not waiting for commands. Since a lot of the Rally stuff is kind of precursors to obedience stuff, she thought it would help her dog pay more attention to do some rally instead. I think it worked for her.
    I know that Cran likes to heel and as you go up the Rally levels, there's less room since there are more signs in the same amount of space. It can be hard to heel then come to a sign and have to stop and do something. and then take 2 steps to do something else. The barking can be hard to tell sometimes why- Cran will bark in excitement around the jumps but he also barks at other times and I think those are frustration or something else that I haven't figured out yet.
    When we were doing obedience, I would alternate with Rally so Sat would be obed and Sun would be rally. I was also alternating brown dogs doing that so that they weren't in the same class potentially the only two dogs in the class. that was too stressful.
    I don't know how Cran will do in Open or if we'll ever get to Utility but we'll just have to see what happens.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I do find that with Rally (with Piper) I go a bit slower (cuts down on the barking) especially as I approach the sign. This gives him a signal that change is coming and he has to pay attention and really helps with the forging and such, I'll also say watch a lot as we do the course or when approaching a sign.
    If there's anything that I do in the videos that you want more info on I'd be more than willing to help.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL