Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

We're picking a puppy on Thursday!!!!!

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Sharon7, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Last August when we met Elijah's breeder at the show, we mentioned we'd love to have another girl at some point, picturing a young adult who has not made it in the show ring. Contacted her again in January to see what was new, and found out two litters were due. After much discussion, we decided we had it in us to raise a baby, so we got "on the list".

Two litters born, January 26 & 27. All sable and sable merles. 6 girls out of a total of 9 pups so we figured odds were not bad for us. Waited (im)patiently for them to grow up and for her to assess for show quality, size etc. All are related back to Brooke, so very special for us.

Well, she has put us FIRST to choose a pup! Sent us videos, of 9 impossibly cute puppies playing. After multiple viewings, I spotted one off to the side that drew me in. Asked if that was a girl, and yes it was. She said that one is a sable merle, she has some blue in her eyes so can't be shown, but it was her pick dog out of the litter otherwise which is pretty cool. She also has another large girl she thought would be a good fit but that one sounds too dominant for Faith to be happy about. There may be one other girl in the mix as well.

So Thursday we drive up to meet pups, after we choose she will release the others for adoption. I am incredibly flattered to be able to actually choose.

A bit nervous too as it has been 20 years since we had an 8 week old pup. I read an Ian Dunbar book on puppy raising and got some good tips from that. I'm sure I'll be on here with all kinds of questions as well.

Will update after Thursday!!!!! :fl :biggrin2:

2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Very exciting!!!! Oh that puppy smell!!!!

RikyR, KarenCurtis, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  3. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Ooh. So exciting!!! We’ve never picked a pup like that before!! I can’t wait to see her first picture!

RikyR, KarenCurtis, ghggp and 4 others like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Sharon, that is SO EXCITING!! I'm so happy for you. What fun! Yes, raising a puppy is work but you'll have a great time doing it. Can't wait for pictures and updates! :biggrin2:

5. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Wow Sharon that sounds amazing to get first choice on all those little bundles of fun! I bet you don't get much sleep on Wednesday night lol.
    Pics is a must :winkgrin:

KarenCurtis, ghggp, Ann and 3 others like this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Sharon how wonderful, can’t wait to see pictures of the lucky pup! :).

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    oh Sharon - So exciting :fl

"A bit nervous too as it has been 20 years since we had an 8 week old pup"

I really understand that :yes:
    When I got Minnie it was 9 years ago and I had forgotten
    everything about how it was with a little puppy :biggrin2:

We really look forward to hearing about / and seeing pic of the little wonder.:wink2:

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Congratulations! Very exciting especially in these troubling times. Something to put some joy in your life!

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Whooo Hooo... PUPPY BREATH! Can't wait... How wonderful the breeder had so much respect that she put you first! Quite the honor indeed!
    I am holding my breath for a glimpse of the little bundle of joy! Don't wait too long or I am likely to pass out! ;)

Piper's mom, Hanne, Ann and 3 others like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    HOW EXCITING!!!! I liked Ian Dunbars book, but his insistence that the puppy has to have 100 visitors at the home is a little much, it's not necessary. I love his advice about socializing pups young, that the research shows that waiting until the puppy has all it's shots is too late. Socialization can start before all the shots are complete, just common sense is needed. His website, Dogstar Daily, is very good also. You'll do great, get that puppy pen! I don't know what I would have done without one!