Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Wetting the bed at night

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Tabitha, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    Miss. Whistle, for some unknown reason, has been wetting the bed at night. HER bed. Then she jumps into ours while we’re asleep. But not before licking her pee covered bed for lord knows how long until it wakes me up.:ick She’s ruined two beds now because she peed in them and then the washer ate them. I just washed her new bed two days ago and now have to wash it again today. I don’t know what has gotten into her. We’ve had problems with her not telling us she has to go to the bathroom at night before, but never THIS. She’s not crate trained and though she probably needs to be, I don’t think it would help the current situation since she’s peeing in the bed she sleeps in every night. Thoughts? Advice? I’m at my wits end. :gaah

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sounds like a vet visit is in order. I wonder if she has a UTI. How old is Miss. Whistle?

jomuir and Calliesmom like this.
  3. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    She’s about three we think. She was a rescue so we don’t know for sure. We were just at the vet the other day and we didn’t find anything out of the ordinary.

ghggp likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    She is young...
    Did they run a complete blood panel? Did they rule out a UTI?

5. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    She has been getting a weekly or bi weekly full blood panel because of a tick disease she’s been battling.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Do you think that the tick disease might have caused these symptoms/behavior?
    What does your vet say about it?

7. Tabitha

Tabitha Premium Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Lubbock, Texas
    She doesn’t think the two are related. We can’t figure out what wrong with her. So we’re thinking it’s behavioral issues

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Jocu peed overnight in his crate last week - he went to the vet the next day and does indeed have a UTI....

ghggp likes this.
  9. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    Doesn't really sound like a behavior type of issue if she is doing it at night. Some spayed females develop this problem, usually when they are a bit older, but sometimes when they are young too. I believe the vets prescribe a type of hormone replacement to treat it (can't remember the name, but it starts with a "p"). I would definitely check out seeing if she has a UTI. I don't think it is obvious if the vet doesn't know to test for it. Good luck - hope you get to the bottom of it!

Tabitha and ghggp like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes, Jocu's culture came back today- two different bacteria but the antibiotic that was prescribed works for both.

ghggp likes this.