Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What’s a good car dog harness?

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Piper's mom, May 3, 2021.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I was considering getting the dog seat for Blueberry that Glenn’s Willow uses but since it’s out of stock right now I’ve started thinking about a car harness. I’m wondering (and have read) that if the dog is able to be facing the direction of travel the motion sickness is less, that why I’m considering the harness.
    Has anyone used a car harness? I saw that Kurgo had a crash tested harness as does Sherpa...any recommendations?

Sandy in CT likes this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    We've had the dog seat I recommended to Glenn for over 18 years - The model with the storage drawer is nice. I keep extra dog bowls, an extra harness and an extra leash in it.

We originally used these for our doxies https://www.dachshunddelights.com/Hold-A-Dog-Harness®-in-mesh_p_763.html so when Brodie came along, I had some made for him (one as a puppy and one later). The seat belt loop is nice because in a pinch, if you don't have the car seat to clip to, you can thread the seat belt through the loop and lock them in. The velcro is VERY strong, adjustable and it does have a safety clasp across the chest. We still use these for long trips or say if we go the the beach and want a harness. I do not think Brodie would be able to slip out of these harnesses, but I still use a carbineer clip to his collar as a backup.

For trips to training, when I want an easier in and out, I have these harnesses in both cars for both Deacon and Brodie. Easy on, easy off while still secure. https://www.amazon.com/Puppia-Soft-...64003&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-16&ts_id=2975341011

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Thank you for all that info Sandy!
    I’m leaning towards the Kurgo brand...I like the fact that it’s crash tested and an added bonus is a local pet store carries it so I can try it on Blueberry.
    https://www.petvalu.com/ca/product/...tether-steel-nesting-buckles-black/SCM01108CA
    https://www.petvalu.com/ca/product/rover-booster-seat-black-blue/SCM03019CA
    My dilemma is do I get the booster seat and this harness or the booster seat and another harness or just this Kurgo harness? Lol
    She does enjoy her car rides when out of he crate. Coming home from obedience today and it’s constant drooling. I stopped at a grocery store and put her crate in the back so she has the front passenger seat freedom and she’s standing upright trying to stick her head out of the window. It was about 5 blocks from home (I took the side streets) and she was trying to look out the window he whole time.
    I’m going to go for a drive later and check them out.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    So I got Blueberry a harness and a Kurgo tether (locks into seatbelt latch). She seems to really enjoy her car rides. We’ll see how this works out.
    I will have to shorten the tether, she can move just a bit too much.
    20FABBB2-91A2-4586-8E90-6565279CB099.jpeg 93954E0C-F03C-4229-B07A-BAFA525BF1C3.jpeg 85C2B1DC-134B-472E-B409-C1077DE72EB1.jpeg

5. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Just my.02 - feel free to ignore - in a crash, even the slightest, Blueberry is a projectory - a harm to you, to herself. If she was mine, her freedom would be much less and she’d be n the rear passenger seat where I could pet her at will, see her, but she has the front passenger seat as a buffer and f sorts in a crash instead of a glass windshield. If she is happy, maybe you have found a solution to her car sickness. My oldest needs the window rolled down on occasion for a source of fresh air - maybe Blueberry does as well.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Your absolutely right. This was the short distance home from pet store and I had the other 2 in the backseat. I’ll definitely try her in the back (with way less room to move) next time. I think I’ll stick to short drives over the next week before her next obedience class (it’s a 40 minute city drive) and maybe increase her tolerance. Good idea for the fresh air! And she’s definitely a distraction to me being in the front seat! Lol

Sandy in CT likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I have a sleepypod harness. the attachment bit is a tad different from a traditional harness. And always in the back seat. the projectile thing is real.....and really, if your dog has more movement than you do when you are buckled up do you really think it is that safe? I know some dogs are worse than others with being restrained, but Gavin can pretty much lay down or sit up in the same spot and thats kinda it.

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    I started with harnesses and seat belt tethers- I still have them for just in case situations but we moved to crates a while back and l love knowing that they're not going anywhere.
    sheltie puppies were always in carriers in the back seat - first puppy (non-sheltie) got out of the box and almost caused us to wreck so no more of that.
    Destin was really the only one with car sickness and I think it's sideways vs front to back orientation. everybody has front to back crates at the moment.

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Is that just how you position the crates..front to back? I drive a Ford Focus...the only way I can put the crates is sideways. There is the hatch but I believe that’s not a place to put a dog. We went for a drive today and Blueberry (back seat) managed to get out of her harness! I’d loosened it a bit (I really believed it was tight enough)...I’m a newbie when it comes to harnesses...

Sandy in CT likes this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Tighten it up. Per my trail trainer only 1 finger should be able to fit. Seems tight, hubby always complains, but if Blueberry can get out without being put in a bad situation, think of how quickly she'd become some flying torpedo in an accident.

You know how I told you Deacon drools? If he is crated, it's bad, but crated and sideways it's like a pool in there. He is doing much better with the Lookout, but I may try him on just a seat pad and harness attached to the locked seatbelt. If traveling with both dogs, Brodie has been on a pad, with harness, strapped to a locked seatbelt since I don't have 2 Lookouts. I have the harness attached to the seatbelt with those straps from the company that sells the Lookout. I lock the seatbelt, attach the strap around both sections of the seatbelt and tighten; adjusting once I get Brodie in with the harness and get him lying down. Brodie can only lay down until released.

Piper's mom likes this.