Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What age does the overlay come in?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Liza0714, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Liza0714

Liza0714 Forums Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    My younger sheltie is a sable merle and has some nice grey markings on her face and back, but as she is getting older, she is also getting some black on her back that is obscuring the grey on her back.

My question is will all of her grey areas turn black eventually as the overlay comes in? She is a about a year and a half.

She is on the left in both pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    it will depend on your sheltie- for my sable merle, the gray patches visible as a puppy are still there, it's the length of the fur that can hide the lighter patches.
    left side
    right side

3. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Oh my gosh! She looks so much like my Cleo. I can't answer your question though because Cleo isn't even a year old yet, but 14 more days and she will be. So I am actually interested in this myself.:winkgrin:

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    well, say 2-3 yrs for the coat to get length and then it seems that the mahogany sables keep getting darker as they get older - but that darkness will just be on the brown areas and not the greyer areas....

5. Liza0714

Liza0714 Forums Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    Wow Callie is gorgeous, besides the coloring her face is so cool, half white and blonde. Thanks for the info about the coat, I was thinking the grey might be temporary since she didn't have it when wwe got her in March.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    actually that is my male Cranberry who I got because I wanted a sable merle. here's a puppy pic of him
    Callie was a beautiful mahogany sable girl that I got from a sheltie rescue- she converted me:winkgrin: