Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What Color is he?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by windyhill, Jun 27, 2011.

1. windyhill

windyhill Forums Novice

Jun 27, 2011
    Missouri
    Im new to the sheltie world and to the colors as well, but to me, Blue is an odd color.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/marebear07/Pets/IMG_0769.jpg
    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/marebear07/Pets/IMG_0758.jpg

2. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Bi blue

There is alot of rusting in the coat on the body which sometimes happens for various reasons. Either genetics, sun exposure,lots of dead hair(undercoat) or diet. It isn't ideal but not a big deal in a pet just make sure he is brushed out well. But definitely a bi blue.

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Bi-blue.

That means that he is a black and white dog (no tan), with the modifying merle gene, which dilutes some of the hair to some shade of grey.

4. windyhill

windyhill Forums Novice

Jun 27, 2011
    Missouri
    I undertand about the rust part, but it also doe look like he has tan on him as well.
    He is a rescue, so not much is known about his past or his care.

5. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't see any tan point at all either on his face or legs. The only tan I see is on the back and from your welcome post I was thinking that was from dead undercoat. You have said you hadn't gotten to grooming his body.

6. LunaBear87

LunaBear87 Forums Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2011
    MD
    I cannot see your pictures that you posted, but I am the owner of 2 CHW Bi blues myself, I'll just leave you with this picture and see what you have to say but did the dog look like this?

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/LunaBear879/photo-5.jpg

If so then he most likely is a bi blue, that pic above is my pups father. He also was a bi blue

7. Justicemom

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    The dog in your picture is not a bi blue it is a blue merle. Being a CHW just masks it abit. You can clearly see the tan marking on his face above his eye and on his cheek. Bi blues do not have any tan on them anywhere at all.

8. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I would go so far as to not even call it a color headed white. It's a piebald. To much color for a color headed white.

9. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was thinking this, too... a CHW is just that, a mostly-white dog with a normally-colored head.