Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What commercial food would you recommend for 3yr old shelties?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by BryanAndLarrysMama, Mar 18, 2022.

1. BryanAndLarrysMama

BryanAndLarrysMama Forums Regular

May 28, 2019
    We have had our two male Shelties (they're turning 3 in July) on homemade food for the last 2 years, supplemented with Balance IT. Our vet is amazed by their coats and their overall health.

Like many, we're looking at the increase in food prices. We're already facing close to $400/month in price for their food, and today I see that the prices have SHOT UP again. So we're considering taking them back to commercial food. I know there are some good ones on the market and I'm clearly not opposed to spending money on their food LOL

Is there one commercial food you would recommend? Their breeder likes Purina Pro Plan Savor.

I hate when life gets complicated - and expensive for no reason! Stupid inflation! Grrrrr

2. BryanAndLarrysMama

May 28, 2019
    Updating this............. so I see a lot of people like Fromm (*the black bag).
    I did some searching online about it and am seeing some good things. I think we will be trying this out.

I'd love to hear any input on this.

P.S. Where would we be without the people here in the Sheltie forum? Thank you so much for being here!!!!

RikyR, Ann, Sandy in CT and 3 others like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Hi - when Chewy called us two days ago and said our food was out of stock and wouldn't be available for a month, we went to the local Petsmart and got sticker shock too. It was $60 for a bag. We use Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach (even though those are not an issue for our pups) it has more limited ingredients.

I did raise Meadow on Fromm Puppy Gold and was very happy with that. Just please do some research on the DCM issue - long threads about that on this site. Bottom line although nothing is completely definitive, is do NOT feed grain-free food. The universe of dog food can make your head spin with the variety! Good luck.

Bryan and Larry are super cute!

4. BryanAndLarrysMama

May 28, 2019

Oh gosh yes, the no-grain is a no-go for us. Looks like Fromm has a nice balance and has grains. The DCM issue is scary for sure. I'm tempted to go the sensitive stomach route if I have to, since our little Bryan seems to have a touchy stomach sometimes. He's a bit neurotic so gets nervous and throws up. But I do think we'll try the Fromm and see how it goes. It's like my vet said "Look you're doing your best, you're making the best informed decision for your pet, you can't drive yourself crazy." Oh yeah? Sure I can! LOL

We'll be trying it this weekend, slowly introducing it. I'll post how it goes!

5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I can’t give you any suggestions as I feed raw but Larry and Brian are super cute! I just love them and they look like such characters! My last dog’s name was Riley and one morning my mom called him Larry for no reason whatsoever :ROFLMAO:...that became his nickname so I love the name!

Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Bryan and Larry are just so cute! Those expressions are heart melters!❤️
    I have used Fromms as well! Great product! Liam is on Pro Plan 20/30 and he is 3. The breeder recommended it.
    Grocery bills are eye popping for sure, for humans and their pets!

7. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Sage

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I use Fromm and LOVE it!!!!

I used to have my doxies on Merrick buffalo for years, then I got Brodie and he got loose stools from the Merrick puppy and the whole DCM thing came about in my reading as well as lower protein percentages for shelties. I started looking for a kibble that did not have pea protein. I ended up with Fromm Gold puppy, made the switch quite easily. Once he got older, I easily switched into Fromm Gold Adult. I used to mix in some of their 4 star kibble every so often just to add in additional proteins for them but I do check for pea protein and protein levels. I have not done that since bringing Deacon into the mix. I do check the 4 star recipes since some do contain pea flour; duck for sure was one that I added in and maybe lamb? I don't remember.

Brodie came to me on Pro Plan Savor which I think at that time was chicken shreds; a mix of a kibble and dried chicken. He would pick out one part of the food and not touch the other and kept trying to eat our doxies food which was far too rich for him and gave him the runs. I tried the Wellness that was mentioned at the time - might have been a lamb and rice formula - and Sharon's Pro Plan Sensitive but it was the Fromm that got him interested, has kept him interested, and we have good solid poo from it.

Our boys are 14 inches and 15 1/2 inches at shoulder height, one is 17 lbs and one 18 or so pounds, one is 3 1/2 and one is 1 1/2, both are hyper, high energy dogs. I feed 1/4 cup twice a day unless we are uber active and then I might bump dinner up to 1/3 cup if I feel it. I sometimes add in some treats like vegies or low sodium bone broth or an egg or a sardine.

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We switched to Fromm from Purina years ago when Bailey stopped eating and Fromm was suggested as an alternative. The girls like the flavor changes that are available within the product line.

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  9. BryanAndLarrysMama

May 28, 2019
    A week has gone by and the boys are had their first 100% Fromm day. Their poops are pretty soft. I did a gradual change over, so I'm sure they are still adjusting. Big Larry hoovers his food down, while little Bryan eats like when he was a pup! He takes his time, takes a mouthfull and chews while he wanders around the kitchen.I have to hold Larry back from eating Bryan's food. Hhahaha. I am adding some veggies back to their food to help bulk their poop up if necessary. I'll see how tomorrow goes. Change is a tough thing. Ugh. I'm glad we changed, though.

Piper's mom, Sandy in CT, Ann and 3 others like this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    A tablespoon of canned pumpkin should help them firm up their stools, but it may just take a bit of time.