Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What do you feed your Sheltie? And, Colitis advice.

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Marleys_Mommy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Marleys_Mommy

Marleys_Mommy Forums Regular

Jul 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Was wondering what kind of food everyone feeds their shelties.

Also, anyone else have a sheltie with Colitis? With any pointers & advice?

Thank You.

2. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
  3. Marleys_Mommy

Jul 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you for the site. I just can't imagine the stress my little guy has went through, when he was at the puppy-mill barn. Marley will start to drool a ton, when stressed I picked up on since I have had him now for two weeks. The vet gave him meds to take for now, to try and get him un-stressed, he also got fixed yesterday, so I bet that stressed him out very much, he actually was bleeding from behind all yesterday, thats why I took him in today. I was afraid it was Parvo, but it is Colitis. I now have to work on helping him become un-stressed, when he is with me she is perfectly fine, but all these doctor visits have really stressed him out. :(

4. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Poor guy, I can't imagine what he must have gone through. Try not to let his stress get you frustrated and stressed, he's going to need a lot of time to heal those kinds of emotional wounds. Give him a couple of months of love and attention and I'll bet he's a totally different dog :smile2:

5. graydawntreader

graydawntreader Forums Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2008
    St. Marys, GA
    I did feed my dogs Lassie Natural Way, but then the store quit selling it. I got Iams, which I don't care for because of some of the ingredients, until I could find one that I though was better. Then Iams ran out all to fast and I'm using another bag of food that my mom got but I didn't want to use it because it's an extremely low quality food. Then a new pet store opened in Kingsland and we asked them to specially order Lassie Natural Way for us.:wink2: So, we may be feeding that again.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Colitis and Food information

My three-year old Pixie has colitis. I've posted information in other threads on this forum about it. She came home with severe diahrrea at 9 weeks old caused by coccidia that took nearly three months on flagl to cure, and by that time she had both colitis and canine epilepsy, although I didn't recognize the seizures for what they were for several months.

I experiemented with all kinds of food because the vet I was using then was terrible and had her on a Science Diet low residue forumula that was just garbage. Please please PLEASE whatever you do, give your little guy a good, holistic food with very simple ingredients! I'm a journalist specializing in equine and canine work, and research is what I do. I found Chicken and Rice California Natural made by Innova and started Pixie on that and got her off the junk foods and that is what finally straightened out her system. She still has occasional flare ups two years later, but nothing like she did. Now all she needs when she has a flare-up is some canned pumpkin in a meal or two. The other thing you should add is a good probiotic to his diet (I use Dr. Goodpet Canine Probiotics) and a good fish oil, such as salmon oil. You can find all of these products online if you don't have a natural pet store in your area.

There are several articles in the Sheltie Nation archives that I wrote on food last year that were posted I believe in December if you'd like more information on how to evaluate dog food. The most important thing you can do for your pet is to read the ingredients on the label and learn what they are and what they mean.

At the moment, your puppy is recovering from his surgery, so be careful what you give him at this point. Keep him on the meds from the vet, and transition him slowly to better food. That will make all the difference. Good luck!

8. Marleys_Mommy

Jul 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I think I am going to feed him Nutro Natural the Rice Chicken & Oatmeal one. It is for sensitive stomach, and has only holistic products. My other two little guys are on it. Ann, I will look at those posts, I am looking for as much info as possible so I can help him with all I can. I told my husband, "NO people food!" LOL

9. MadisMomma

MadisMomma Forums Regular

Mar 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I feed Madi Wellness brand puppy food. She started on Purina Pro Plan and her skin was really yucky and flaky. Since switching she has no skin problems and we've not had any loose stools at all.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to switch though. The pet store in town in going out of business and the next closest pet store has decided not to sell it anymore. I drove the 30 miles to it last week and bought the last 3 bags they had :no: So I'm on a hunt to find someone who sells it.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    If you go to the Wellness website, there is a button on the top that will allow you to enter your zipcode and it will tell you where the closest location that carries Wellness is located. I actually bought it at a feed store that I found this way when I was away from home. :winkgrin: