Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What I love about Brooke

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sharon7, May 4, 2019.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I am not going to write an obituary. I want to write now, while she is here keeping an eye on me from the hallway, about what I love about Brooke, if you will indulge me.

Brooke came to us at 7, retiring from showing and having babies. My first thought when she arrived was what wonderful manners she had! She was a bit anxious for a month or so, fitting in with Asta and Ally, who were a bonded pair, was a bit of a challenge I think. Not that they were mean to her or anything, but you know 3 can be a challenging number if two are BFFs.

Anyway, I LOVE Brooke's ears. They are just perfect, and I don't mean in a show ring way. They are so mobile and expressive. They go way up to the top of her head (they are tipped) if she's interested or excited. They go up, down, sideways, just so expressive and indicative of her state of being. I love her dramatic markings - so much white on a black dog. A huge white collar, it goes quite a ways down her back. White up the inside of her back legs, and a lot of her tail is white also. So elegant.

I love her goofiness. We thought she was so serious when she came, Ally was our little clown and really silly, but not Brooke. That is, until Faith came. It showed us a whole other side to Brooke. They played like crazy, with Brooke taking Faith down sometimes, still not sure how she would do that to Miss faster-than-a-speeding-bullet Faith. We tried agility with her, and OMG the look she gave us when we tried to get her over a 3 inch jump. "You have GOT to be kidding!" If she could have rolled her eyes, she would have. All righty, then, no agility for you, Miss Brookie Mae.

But at the ripe old age of almost 13, we decided to try her in Nosework. We had practiced with her at home along with Faith and thought what the heck. Our instructor loves senior dogs, and she was so good at it! And such enthusiasm! It made Tuesday evenings something we really look forward to.

I love how she rubs on me like a cat sometimes. The whole length of her body. When I am on the floor doing my exercises, I can count on getting licked, and she LOVES to stick her nose up my short sleeve and lick there too. It tickles like crazy.

I love her steady affection, the glow in her eyes, how she ignores the cat like he's invisible, her enthusiasm for Sunday scrambled eggs - deciding Dad has had enough time with his breakfast and it's time NOW for her eggs, thank you. I love how she has to help me make the bed every morning. And how she always has her left paw hanging over the side of her bed or the stroller.

I love this dog and always will, and can't believe how lucky we were to have her come live with us, on my husband's birthday, 6 years ago. :love:

JacqueZ, Calliesmom, Jams and 7 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Beautifully written Sharon!

What a beautiful life you have had together... blessed to be sure!

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    she feels the same way about you...

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks for helping us get to know Brooke, Sharon. She really sounds like a special girl. Give her a pat for me!

Jams, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    You had me teared up earlier when I read this. I feel your love for Brooke, I imagined tears as you wrote it. Brooke is so loved!!!

6. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Oh Sharon :hugs

Jams and Sharon7 like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    You tell her story beautifully.

8. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Sharon, such a beautiful write-up for a very beautiful and very special Sheltie lass. How blessed you both have been to have shared so many wonderful times and so much love.
    Trini

Sharon7, ghggp and Jams like this.
  9. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sharon, what a beautiful tribute to Brooke... what a beautiful little soul she is. I love that she gave Nosework a try at age 13 and took to it so well! And I love how much you love her, and how you are giving her the most possible joy every single day.

I've been quietly following your posts since Brooke's diagnosis. Thank you for bringing all of us along on this journey, and thank you for always doing right by Brooke.

Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  10. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    What a great joy she must be to have around. She sounds like she fills the whole house with her love and personality.

Sharon7 likes this.