Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What is meant by an AOC litter?

Discussion in 'Getting Started in Conformation' started by BarbV, Apr 2, 2015.

1. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

One of the breeders that I bought from before (my first Sheltie, Timber) tells me that she has an AOC litter coming end of this month. And might have pups available.

What does Aoc mean? She has bred dozens of conformation champions....AKC and CKC. She is as solid a breeder that you can find.

2. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think she means AOAC, as in, not sable.

3. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    What Megan said. AOC, which should stand for Any Other Color, is commonly referred to as AOAC, Any Other Acceptable Color; basically not Sable.

4. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

That's what I thought too.....but she breeds sables, merles, bi blues and bi blacks too. So all should be acceptable in her breeding program. Assuming she planned the breeding, AOC would have been acceptable to her...maybe it was an accidental breeding? Could that be what she meant?

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    AOAC is a breed recognized term--it is not specific to breeder or breeding program. So a breeder who only breeds blue dogs, for example, would be considered an AOAC breeder.

6. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    No, I don't think that's what she meant.

At a dog show, the Sheltie classes are sometimes divided by color. There would be, for example, an Open: Sable Class, and an Open: Any Other Allowed Color class. AOAC is the catch-all term for bicolors, tricolors, bi-blues, and blue merles.

If you breed an AOAC (black or blue) bitch to an AOAC dog, you know you are going to get an AOAC litter - all black and blue puppies. It doesn't matter what other colored dogs you keep.

7. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    AOAC is one of those you have a litter in whelp and until they actually come out and dry you could have bi-blacks, tris, biblue..etc AOAC breedings you never know what color you could get...Us sable people are soo predictable, we know when we breed we are getting brown with white hopefully splashed in the correct spots :wink2:.

8. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Sorry for being obtuse.....but based on all the feedback why would any breeder announce an AOC litter...that might be available for pet adoption?

This breeder has champions in sable, merle, bi-black and blu-black

So I'm still not understanding what AOC means in the context of a show breeder who has Shelties of every colour?

9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    AOAC just means anything other than sable that can be shown. Doesn't matter what your breeding program works in/specializes in.

10. Silaria

Silaria Forums Sage

Sep 19, 2008
    Aspinwall, PA
    Barb, the breeder telling you she's expecting an AOC litter means she's expecting a litter without Sable colored dogs in it.

You said:
    The Bi-Black and Blu-Black (which I'm assuming is either a bi-blue color), and merle (which I assume is Blue Merle) are considered AOC because they are not Sable. AOC (AOAC is the term normally used) are tri-color, bi-black, blue merle, and bi-blue.

If you are still confused, maybe you want to consider calling the breeder for clarification on what she means and which dogs of hers she's planning on breeding. If you are considering a dog from her then the dialog between you is a good thing in the long run.