Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What size crate?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by Deanna McIntosh, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Deanna McIntosh

Deanna McIntosh Forums Novice

Dec 27, 2018
    So i plan to crate train my boy and crate training going to be the best due to the fact I work 8 hour days. What size crate should I get? I know they're considered a small breed but I don't know if a small crate would be good for him, should I get a small or medium crate for him.

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

It totally depends on the size of your pup.
    You can estimate how big he will end up, and then buy that size of crate.
    Many metal wire crates have dividers so you can make them smaller during crate training for puppies.

Gavin has a 36" crate as he is 35lbs and 18" tall.
    amazon basics sell them relatively cheaply.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree with Cindy, try to get one that has dividers that allow you to make it larger as the pup grows. I have a small crate that I used initially as Finnie grew and I was fortunate that the breeder lent me a 36" crate for him but even that grew to small...he's 16" but long and always wanted to lay width wise rather than length wise. 11 months old today and no more crate for him lol

4. Deanna McIntosh

Deanna McIntosh Forums Novice

Dec 27, 2018
    Thank you my breeder told kms he was gonna be a small fur baby most likely maxing out at 14/15". But I'll definitely look into getting a cage with a divider or just getting a divider separately. I'm just really anxious and nervous, my other fur baby is a pug but luckily the traveling crate we used for him as a puppy was big enough for him even fully grown now it's just his safety zone.

5. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I have a 24” that works for my small girl or a puppy, but usually they all use the 30” crates. I also have a few 36” crates but two dogs could fit in there in a pinch. My dogs are all under 16”.

Deanna McIntosh likes this.
  6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    I have a 24" crate for my small girl who is 14". She fits in there comfortably.

7. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Sandstorm has a large Vari-Kennel crate. It's definitely his den! He fits in there well and is in it four days a week when I'm at work, for 7 hours. When we are home sometimes he goes in it with the door open

8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I think Shelby’s is also a 30 inch crate. It too has the divider to adjust the size.

9. Joanna

Joanna Forums Novice

Sep 25, 2018
    Lexi is 15". She has 30 inch wire crate and a size 200 vari kennel :) Probably better to go small rather than large, and make sure it comes with a divider. You can also get the 3 door kind which aren't as sturdy but are definitely good so you can get him in/out from almost any side. I have the elitefield one from Chewy.com but it's really flimsy so I would go with a better quality one. AmazonBasics has nice ones I think, and Frisco from Chewy.com is good too.

10. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    I got a 28-inch plastic crate for Willow based on the breeder's recommendation and just used a cardboard box at the back to make a smaller den. I've removed that now so she has plenty of room to stretch out.