Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

What to expect in Foundations Course for Agility

Discussion in 'Agility' started by Pam, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    OK, so after the last disaster of a Rally class, I enrolled Beau (at a different school) in an agility Foundations class--there are NO other Rally classes near me. I had taken him to this school for his basic obediance and really liked it, but the sports training is run by different people. So I am wondering what to expect of a Foundations course (as I said Rally turned into virtual free-style dance class which I did not particularly like).

I don't expect Beau to really ever compete in agility because of his leg injury when he was a pup, and also I just don't have the time for rigorous training. Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    If I remember correctly, in our foundations classes there were a lot of rear end awareness activities as well as getting the dogs to offer up behaviors for rewards.

3. Chris

Chris Forums Celebrity

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    That would be useful. All mine are like Smoky and the Bandit: "If it's behind me..."

4. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    When does the course start?

5. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    It truly varies. At our last agility school, foundation agility had pre-requisites. By the time they were in foundation they already understood stopped contacts, knew how to go around a cone, knew how to jump, and understood basic handling. But I've seen other schools that list foundation as the very first level.

6. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Course starts next week on the 31st. I am excited, as I have liked the two basic obedience courses I took there. I am also starting Beau on Nosework this week. Trying to find ways to tire him out :) We do practice alot at home too...I just haven't really gotten the homeschool Rally stuff going yet, hope to do that soon too.

This is a first level course.

7. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    Every school and every trainer is different. If the class is specially foundations then you will probably be doing a lot of flatwork, like teaching your dog to understand physical cues, nose or paw touching to a plate, going around objects, rear end awareness, wobble board, etc. And then slowly introducing the dogs to each obstacle.